Savage Mark II FV

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
I ordered one of these for my youngest son's birthday. Haven't quite decided on the scope as of yet. Leaning towards the Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9X40 RIM BDC. But then, I'm also looking at the Mueller APT
Just curious if anybody else has a Mark II, and what they might prefer for ammo.
I know any rifle/firearm, can have it's own likes, but figure knowing what other's may have found, may save me buying a box of everything to start with.

Dave

Fine choice!
Anything with the savage name on it works for me.

My 93FV pre the new boyds stock- this is a 22 Mag w/o the accu trigger 100yd target:
22MAGSavage2.jpg

The bases and rings that Gander sold it with appear good enough. No idea what brand. The scope is a Simmons. As you can see it works. Cant help you with a scope opinion but can tell you to expect you savage to shoot worth a decent scope.

Ive got an unused Simmons 22Mag (3-9x40) I can let ya have for $25 +shipping. They are supposed to be Paralax adjusted for 50yds. That should work well on a 22. Just a thought. CL

Several years back I had a pre-Accutrigger Mark II FV. After some trigger work I was pleased with how it shot. Of the different ammo I shot in it Wolf Match Target produced the smallest groups. For Hollow Points it seemed to perfer the Federal HiPower Hollow Points of the time. Don't remember the exact groups it was capable of producing, but do know that there are quite a number of Prairie Dogs that are no longer around to argue about it effectivness.

In all honesty I liked the gun but hated the stock so it and I parted ways.

Larry

Incidentally, The stock in the picture above is for sale cheap (I hated mine too :lol: ). Make me an offer and PM me. It would work good for a "truck Gun" stock. ..... or a canoe paddle or a baseball bat. The things just have no comb. Otherwise they arent THAT bad. CL

My wife has a Savage Mk II, not sure about FV. It's wood stocked and has the accutrigger. Shoots very accurate with Remington Yellowjacket hyper velocity HP. My CZ hates that ammo. Another scope to consider is the weaver classic 4x32 rimfire or something along that line. They also make a 3-9 rimfire, but for 22, 4x is my favorite for small game and plinking.

Well here he/it is,,,,
Still haven't decided on the scope, but had this spare Swift 4-12x sitting here I put on for the mean time. We also may look into a different staock in the future, as I agree, there ain't much for a comb. I see my son having some difficulty with it , just in bringing up to the should tonite.
Trigger don't feel all that bad, what little I checked, but may also look at rifle basix for it.
He wouldn't know the difference as yet on either,,,,just happy as a pig in slop right now with whatever!
100_4271.jpg

great rifle. i got one about 2 years ago. it is mounted with a little low profile 3-9. its shoots everything i've run through it pretty good, but the best accuracy i've had is with the big green/yellow bulk pack remington "golden" 40gr loads. solids or hollowpoints (36g i think) both hit to the same poa. at 50 yards 5 shot groups average 3/8"-1/2". at 100 yards it will shoot 1-1.25" if i do my part and the wind is calm. last summer shot several cottontails and jackrabbits with it. all headshots anywhere from 25-75 yards. longest, with a bit of luck was a 130 yard shot on a cottontail.

Sorry I don't have pic's, as I left the target out at my son's place. But we got it shot today, and had I my machine rest out there, I think 1 hole 3 shot groups would be possible at 50 yds. As it were, and a less than solid rest for testing, I shot 2, 5 shot groups that could be covered with a dime. Andy, being relatively new to shooting, faired well enough. A little more time and work on his fundamentals, he'll be a excellent shot in the future.
And somewhat to my suprise from what I have been reading, the only ammo we had were Remeington Thunderbolts. I half expected less from them, and thought I would need to buy a number of boxes to see what shot best. That of course isn't saying something else may shoot better. But honestly, I couldn't ask for more than what it did!
Outside the low comb, it's a winner for the money.

Back