Savage Rifle Accuracy

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
If anyone is looking to buy a new varmit rifle, take a very close look at the Savage line. I have the 12FV in 204 Ruger. Today, I was out verifying my scope settings and as you can see below, this is a very accurate rifle. The load is a 32gn V-max, 27gn of H322, GM205M primers, Harnady brass, and a COL of 2.32". Average velocity for a 10 shot string was 3962fps. It still has the stock Accu-II trigger, but at the lowest possible setting.

This is my 10 shot group at 100 yards
204Rug.jpg

This is my rifle with a Ross Thumbhole laminate stock. The plastic stock from Savage is junk IMO.
204Ruger.jpg

Nice group and a fine looking rifle. That stock is great! Savage is making some exceptionally accurate rifles these days, particularly in the varmint cartridges... I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was looking for an out of the box varmint rig - not at all!

Good group for sure! I thought I read somewhere that a varmint rifle should be capable of 10 shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Seems like a logical way of thinking. I've never done a 10 shot group with my .222 Rem, maybe I should to actually see what I have!

The stock is from Boyd's Gunstocks. It's the Ross Thumbhole. The factory stock wasn't that great. It did add a little weight, but it balanced out the rifle. Oh, this stock comes in the sporter type, so I had to sand out the barrel channel, do some minor fitting around the magazine box, and around the trigger mechanism. After the mods, I lightly sanded the whole stock and resprayed it with a satin clearcoat.

The reason for a ten shot group, is we have a monthly rifle competition, the any/any match, where you shoot 10 rounds per target (4 targets total, placed at 100yrds but looks like 600yds. I just wanted to see if the barrel heating up was causing the fliers I was get. well, it isn't the gun, just the bozo behind the trigger.

10-shots or more can tell you a lot about your rifle, your load and your abilities as a rifleman.

In NRA highpower, the slow-fire strings (standing at 200 and prone at 600 yds) are 20 shots in 20 minutes... With the target being pulled and marked between every shot.

The rapid fire strings (sitting at 200 and prone at 300) are 10 shots in about a minute. Either way, the barrel can get a little warm and it's real easy to flub some shots.

I've seen some Savage rifles turned into pretty decent slow-fire prone rifles.

374066.jpg

This one belongs to a shooting buddy, and has a custom 6mmBR barrel on it. The thing is a terror to 600 yards!

Regards, Guy

richracer1

Absolutely right! Savage stocks are about as limp as "Ole Blue"! But....the rifles are the best 'OUTA THE BOX' of anything in America today! I built one up recently and it's a tackdriver out to 800 yds. This is a 7MM WSM shooting a 140 gr. AccuBond bullet!

Good shooting! :wink: :grin: :wink:

Richracer1,

You missed the quarter!

Very nice looking rifle. Looks like a shooter to me.
I agree with Guy, 10 shot groups will test the rifle, load and the shooter.
Good Job.

JD338

JD338":5fatardb said:
Richracer1,

You missed the quarter!

Very nice looking rifle. Looks like a shooter to me.
I agree with Guy, 10 shot groups will test the rifle, load and the shooter.
Good Job.

JD338

Do I need to put a quarter on a target and shoot it for you???? :roll:

Just curious: Is there a way to measure lock times? If so, I wonder how a Savage fares against a Remington or Winchester. And I wonder if that has anything to do with their accuracy.

Also I think Savages have the best safety and in the best location.

Back