Scope for Nosler .35 Whelen

STS45

Beginner
Jul 22, 2014
I just picked up a new Nosler Outfitter in .35 Whelen. I'm really excited to have a .35 Whelen as I think it is an excellent round. It will be used all over the Weat for pretty much everything except maybe pronghorn. I was thinking about a Leupold 2.5x8 or a 3.5x10.

I don't buy into the whole "35 Whelen is only good close in as a brush gun" line of thinking.

Welcome aboard, friend. As the proud owner of one of Nosler's fine rifles (and chambered in 35 Whelen at that) you're among friends here. Congratulations on your acquisition; it will no doubt give you many years of fine service, and give you a great deal of pleasure. The Whelen is indeed capable of spectacular performance at some pretty astounding ranges. My Whelen is wearing a 3-9 Kahles scope, and it could easily justify a higher power yet. However, a ten power scope is more than adequate for most of my shooting. Either of the scope powers you suggest will work for you. I prefer the 9 to ten power upper limit of power, though some of my newer rifles are wearing scopes with higher power. Still, a ten power scope is about right. Again, welcome aboard.

I just put a new Vortex Diamond Back HP 3-12X42MM on mine and it works great with the side parallax focus and Life Time Warranty. It's short enough to be almost compact all with light weight for a scope with all these features. I'm npt a Vortex salesman but mine has convinced me that they are good scopes. They also make a 2-8X32mm in the D-Back HP series if your looking that route. Either one will fill the ticket. For extended ranges I like the 3-12 over the 3-10. They are also one inch tubes which help to keep the weight down with a 4 inch eye relief and a sun shade.

Attachments

• NCM_0042.JPG
    NCM_0042.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,485
  • NCM_0043.JPG
    NCM_0043.JPG
  • NCM_0044.JPG
    NCM_0044.JPG
  • NCM_0045.JPG
    NCM_0045.JPG
Thanks guys. I just picked up a Vortex I am going to use it Coues deer hunting this fall on my 270. I'm leaning towards the 2.5x8. Seems to be a great fit for the Whelen. I've got a Elk tag here in Nevada coming up in October so I need to get moving on a scope and loads.

I get nervous every time I hear about new rifle new scopes and I have an arm load of new rifles and scopes some Need mounting some just need range time! New Nosler in 35 Whelen has a ring to it for some reason? Oh yea this is the Winchester Model 70 Whelen fraternity site! How could I have forgot ! Shame on me! Post a picture when ya get it dressed and lipstick applied :)

HOGWILD338-378":2hwgb94s said:
I get nervous every time I hear about new rifle new scopes and I have an arm load of new rifles and scopes some Need mounting some just need range time! New Nosler in 35 Whelen has a ring to it for some reason? Oh yea this is the Winchester Model 70 Whelen fraternity site! How could I have forgot ! Shame on me! Post a picture when ya get it dressed and lipstick applied :)

Hear! Hear! Pictures are virtually mandatory. :grin: It helps people like Terry (HOGWILD338-378) who have failed to acquire such a fine firearm to maintain a semblance of sanity. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting a M48 35 Whelen.
My 700 Classic 35 Whelen wears a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. More than enough scope to get you to 500 yds.
I've shot mine out to 300 yds but will be shooting 400 yds in the near future.

The 35 Whelen is an easy 400 yd elk rifle with the right load and scope.

JD338

I put a leupold euro 2-7 on the whelen I had built for my dad. I can't think of a better choice.
ne5a8yme.jpg

My .338 Federal has a Kahles 3-9x42 on it. I tried a 2.5-8x32 and it was not quite enough magnification for shooting at the range.

Thebear_78":qglyvphc said:
I put a leupold euro 2-7 on the whelen I had built for my dad. I can't think of a better choice.
ne5a8yme.jpg

Very nice. That is a great looking set up.

Thanks, it turned out really nice. The euro leupy is a great scope, 2-7 magnification range is about perfect for a medium range big game rifle and the 30mm tube gathers quite a bit of light.

That rifle looks like the perfect. Couldn't think of a better combo for your neck of the woods.

Welcome to the forum, you are going to be more than happy with a 35 Whelen :wink:!
I had a Leica 4.5-14X42mm on it but have recently changed over to a Zeiss Davaria 3-9 X 36mm.
What load are you going to be running through that new beauty?
You are really going to enjoy this forum the knowledge here is amazing and the members are a lot if fun :mrgreen:!

PS. Also welcome to the family of the 35 Whelen!!!

Blessings,
Dan

FOTIS":31lp43hu said:
Leupold 2.5x8

I have one waiting for my Whelen, I just need to get off my lazy butt and get 'er mounted up. (Well, I guess I do have an excuse this week, I'm already into overtime...)

Back