scope info wanted.

G

Scope decision is tough. . . . Want one for a Rem Mod 7 in 7mm SAUM. Will use it for WT deer, coyote and targets. Located in SE of USA. Ranges will run up to probably 650 yards with mostly less than that. I have looked at 4.5 x 14 x 44 Conquest and (a more expensive) 4.5 x 14 x 50 Mark IV. The Mark IV tube is 30mm (bulky), it can be had with a nice illuminated TMR reticle and it has the nice but bulky target knobs. I like the smaller 1" tube on the conquest. I don't know anything about the reticle choices on the conquest except what I have read. Should I consider the Z-Plex with taget knobs or, the Rapid Z600 or the Rapid Z800 reticles. As I read the Zeiss data the conquest does not have an illuminated reticle option. I would like to hear from those who have experience with these features as to your feeling on the pros and cons of them. Thanks for any and all input.

Unless you are really hunting close at absolutely last light, the lighted reticle may be more of a hindrance to rapid target acquisition than a help. I find that a 10.5 powder is more than adequate to 600 yards. I have seven or eight Zeiss (both Conquests and Diavaris), three Kahles (one a thirty mm tube), a Swarovski 30mm tube, six Leupolds and a B & L scope. I would think that any of the above European or the Leupold scopes in 4.5 - 14 (or a comparable configuration) will meet your requirements very nicely.

I'm becoming a big believer in most of the new reticles that are offered. I have a VX-II 6 X 18 with the LRV which gets my .223 out to 500yds.

The biggest difference I've noticed between the two you've mentioned, is the reticle stays black in the zeiss under all conditions, where the Leupy's will change to the orangish / pinkish color....no issues with that however.

Multi-aim point reticle or M1 / Compensating dials you still need a range finder to keep it accurate.

I never own a Zeiss but I used one in Africa that belongs to a friend. I like the resolution and clarity of the lens... much better than Leupold. With that said however, if long shot is in the menu, I will opt for MK4. I like to be able to use the dial effectively. The TMR reticle is also very helpful in estimating distance or can be use for holdover. Either way, you can't go wrong with either one.

I, for one, am a little confused. Why own a Remington Model 7, which is a light, compact rifle then saddle it with such a huge scope?

All the scopes mentioned are great products, but in my opinion, just too big for such a rifle.

I personally have Leupold 4.5 X 40 LR scopes on most of my rifles and they all have the Boone and Crockett reticle. I love them, but would not consider putting one on a Model 7. My Model 700 Mountain Rifle, for instance, wears a Leupold 2.5 X 8.

For a Model 7 I would instead choose the Leupold VX3 scope in 3.5 X 10 power and again opt for the Boone & Crockett reticle. That scope will fit your rifle much better and give you all the power you need to utilize the 7mm SAUM cartridge.

R Flowers......+1 you hit the nail on the head. The Leupold 3.5X10X40 will work well and not be out of place on such a rifle.
If it was a larger rifle designed for long range shooting etc then a bigger scope could be fine. But you need to keep a realistic balanced attitude when outfitting a firearm.

Some mighty good points to consider and I thank you very much. I have eleminated the illuminated reticle from consideration. A smaller scope on this particular rifle sounds logical also. Appreciate the input.

Final report: I did get the conquest in 4.5 x 14 x 44 with a normal duplex ... no illumination.... am very happy with it. It is very clear and a very nice size for the Rem Mod 7 in 7 mm SAUM. I like it. Thanks for all your input. I find these boards very helpful. I really appreciate all the effort others put into posting replys and sharing thoughts and info,

Back