Scope problem???

efdkelly

Beginner
Mar 12, 2007
Hello all...... I am wondering if anyone can help me out??? I have a 300wby ultra light wieght that is being stubern.... The gun has only had maybe 200 rounds through it and I clean it really well after around 25-30 rounds........ Ive just switched powders and bullet and am having wierd results....... Ive been trying to find the tightest group with that new powder but am getting a lot of flyers, I will shoot 3 shots that are touching each other and give the gun a cool down and then shoot 3 more and they will be all over the map............

I dont think its my hand loading..... but let me know if this sounds right....

I wieght sort my cases, trim them all, i use Fed. Match mag primers...... i use a digital scale (i do re calibrate it after about every 5 rounds and take random samples and re-check the charge to make sure its right..) (is recalibrating it that much too much????) I use Redding Comp. dies and check the OAL of every round (witch I really dont need to with these dies)

Now ive even tryed shooting without cleaning and get the same results, ive tryed cleaning after every 5 shots.... same thing......

Now the reason I posted this in optics is i think its my scope........ I have a B&L 4200 3-9x40 When ive been at the range i havnt mooved the cross hairs just because ive been shooting so many diff. charges and powders, So i paper the Whole back stop so i dont have to change the elev. or windage..... Now im finding my windage is usually on its the elevation thats off........ IS this a scope problem????? Im thinking it is cause i have had that gun on many planes, even strapped to the out side of bush planes.......So im thinking the scope is getting loose....... any ideas???

thanks

When accuracy is off the cause might be anything and even more than one thing. Since you suspect the scope you have to try another scope on that rifle.

If you have an optical bore sighter you can check the scopes tracking with it.

First of all, I agree with the other reply that there could be many problems. But I would suggest that you increase your number of shots to between 5 and 10 shots per group. This will allow you to have better sample. Because you are shooting only three shots, it is very probible that you are getting lucky with the tight groups.

As for your scope being the problem, I have my doubts since a bad scope would likely produce all bad groups, with very few tight ones (just an educated guess). Some powders do produce more debris than others for certain calibers, you may want to check how dirty your barrel gets after five rounds. I had a 30-06 load that shot very dirty after only two shots.

Speer indicates on their website that statistically, 7 shots is the minimum that can show the true accuracy potential of a rifle. Not sure if I believe them, but they are printing it online.

As for the scope, it is highly unlikely that it could be bad, and you could consistently shoot good groups with it some of the time. I suspect it is barrel heat, or powder fouling, or just something odd. Perhaps you should start by switching back to another loading that has historically printed well from the gun, and see what it does. Perhaps your gun just doesn't like a big dose (several shots) with this powder.

Check the concentricity of your loads, measure seating depth on the ogive not OAL. If this rifle has the normal freebore, I would start load development with the base of the bullet at the shoulder/neck junction. Every rifle is an individual and yours just may not like the new powder/bullet combination. I would also carefully check the bedding and of course all the screws. Check your crown, probably not that but worth a look.Rick.

I did a favor for my gunsmith and took his client to our range to test fire a Win Pre 64 Mod 70 with a Redfield adj 1.5x5 scope.The scope had been returned to redfield for recalibration 3 times.The owner fired 4 rounds 3 were 2+ inches high at 12 o'clock and the 4th was 5 o'clock about 4 inches low.He asked me to fire it and I got the same results.Scope was returned to redfield.The client took his bedded & tuned Win Pre 64 Mod 70 in 300wm to Alaska for Brown Bear and shot a good one.Scopes can be the problem always check to see if its mounted properly and all screws are tight.A dealer friend of mine bought a sako rifle at a desert gunshow that the owner said wouldn't group.Jim checked locating the problem instantly it was improperly mounted by the loose nut gun wrecker he had never tightened the bases or installed the rings properly everything was loose .Jim reinstalled everything and it proved to live up to the Sako reputation.

how important is it to have the cross hairs level with the gun?? I got a scope mounted on my gun at a gunsmiths and he says there level but when i hold the gun the cross hairs are cockeyed..... Can i adjust them so their level for the way i hold my gun??

It isn't important at all if you are hunting close range and never adjust your scope in the field, However, if you are raising your scope, you will rely on the verticle post to keep your aim on Right to left. If you adjust your scope in the field, then your scope is moving according to the axis of the scope, not the rifle. If your scope is off by a couple of degrees, the more you adjust it in the field, the more you will sway to the right or the left. Test it yourself, put your rifle in a rest, place the lowest part of the scope on a target several hundred yards away, then rotate the scope (most realistic) or cant the rifle and see how far the point of aim is. you will be suprised.

Back