Scope quest, AGAIN

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
OK, so since I got myself this 25-06, I've been thinking of what glass it should have when it's done.

One idea I've kicked around is moving the Swaro Z3 4-12x50 on my 300H&H to the Ruger. My reasoning is that I feel like the 50mm is too big an objective on the 300H&H for my "ideal". On the heavy-barrel Ruger, though, I think I would like it.

Then I'm thinking either a demo Leica from CLNY or maybe a VX6....?

Doug at Cameraland is a good guy to deal with for sure.

I just use a fixed 6x Leupold on my .25-06, but I did have a 4.5-14x Leupold on it at first.

Mostly I use mine for mule deer & coyote shooting, from 25 - 400 yards, and the 6x hasn't been a problem at all. I really like the brightness of that scope as well.

FWIW, Guy

I like both the Leica and the Swarovski, Tom. I don't, however, like the 50 mm objectives. I have shot them, but I don't really see the need for them.

Interesting...

Mike, I agree, but I couldn't pass up the buy I got on the scope. A Z3 with BT at less than VX6 pricing....I just couldn't NOT do it.

I'll be honest, shooting it, I like the field of view. Over all, though, I think the scope's on the big side on top of that particular rifle. I guess it's mostly a matter of aesthetics. LOL

If I leave the Swaro stay put, then I'm back to the drawing board on the 25-06. Since I want to use this for p-dogs at some point (no plans yet), I figure some x's will be necessary. a 2-12 VX6 should cover that, but I wonder if there are lower cost alternatives?

I was thinking a 3-15 Minox, but I've heard some folks grouse a little about the upper end/parallax with those scopes?

Swaros are awesome....

I wish I can have a whole lot of them.

Aesthetics is important; each of us like what we like. I find myself gravitating to 30mm tubes in my dotage. However, I still want the objective to be less than 42 mm. I suppose I am becoming a scope snob. Being able to see becomes somewhat important to me as I age. I would forgo a couple of rifles to have a quality scope, though I can't say I would have made that choice in an earlier day. I think the Minox may be a good choice. I'm reasonably impressed with the first one I picked up, though I confess I haven't actually used it in the field at this point.

I am one who doesn't like a non-AO scope over about 12x. I have a couple of 4.5-14x40 VX3s, but for whatever reason, that Minox really brothers me. Maybe the fact that you can get side focus with a 50mm objective...

I don't really like 50mm objectives either, but I would make an exception for a Swaro!

If I were in your shoes, I would get either a 2-12x VX6 or 3.5-10x VX3 for the ooch and ooch, and move the Swaro.

I am over-the-hill and am doty as well. I am back to buying Leupold VX-3's and regressing to 1.5-5x20 scopes for elk. Despite the fact that I may never hunt them again. I still like my Swaro. 4-12x50 though. It is on my 7mm Rem Mag presently.

Tom, I think moving the Swaro to the 25-06 is a great idea actually. Looking for a Leica or something of that size for your 300 would probably make you a happy camper. I am one of the guys that doesn't want more than about 10-12X on the top end for a hunting rifle used for deer and elk. I know there are alot of guys that shoot much further than I do, but out to about 600 or so, 9-10X will work fine. Might not be able to shoot prairie dogs, but for deer and elk, there is plenty of magnification.

I was really planning on putting a Leica or something similar on the 338 Win Mag in the future. I really like how the Minox fits and looks on the rifle, plenty of X's to, for me. I can't imagine a Leica or Swaro would be hard to take at all. Good luck with your search.

Samplelist has some nice scopes right now too..

http://www.samplelist.com/Meopta-4-16x4 ... le+List%29

The Moeptas I've looked through (admittedly a small sampling) appeared to be quite a bargain. They are clear and bright, comparable to other European glass.

I have a 5-15x42 Diavari Zeiss on my .257 Roberts, I guess that it is pretty equivalent scopewise to the .25-06.

I am regressing in old age back down to Leupold VX-3's and such. I had my fling on Swarovski and Zeiss but retirement and Obamanomics on my 401-k have moved my tastes back. :mrgreen:

I agree with Scotty, I find myself hunting and shooting at about 10x maximum, even for long range. No worries about parallax and enough magnification detail to pick my shot easily. The ideal scopes for me have been 3.5-10x42 or therabouts. Not too big and enough magnification.

Oldtrader3":cb3id2yz said:
I am regressing in old age back down to Leupold VX-3's and such. I had my fling on Swarovski and Zeiss but retirement and Obamanomics on my 401-k have moved my tastes back. :mrgreen:

I agree with Scotty, I find myself hunting and shooting at about 10x maximum, even for long range. No worries about parallax and enough magnification detail to pick my shot easily. The ideal scopes for me have been 3.5-10x42 or therabouts. Not too big and enough magnification.

I can't see those being a bad choice unless you are reaching over 600 or so. Plus, I like their size too. Although, I would love a Z6 2.5x15 or or Leice 2.5x12 or whatever it is... I figure the 338 rates something nice in the future.

Back