seating depth

coyoteman5

Beginner
Oct 2, 2007
I have a ruger 270 m77 and 130 gr accubonds i came up with a seating depth of 3.189 does this sound like it is seated to deep. the nosler s.a.a.mi. overall calls for 3.340 max so i was wondering if i had them seated to deep and was worried about pressure

Sounds too deep, shouldn't be a pressure problem. Measure to the ogive, not the tip. How did you come up with that seating depth?Rick.

You should be OK. The SAAMI max is simply a guide line to keep all ammo within a lenght that will fit in any factory rifle chambered for the cartridge`s magazine.
Every rifle has its own demands and will want a bullet at a certain point no matter what the books say. I had a 270 in the past that shot best with a certain brand bullet right around 3.20", switch to another make and they had to be seated longer. The catch was, they were all seated to the same point off the ogive. The Stoney poit or Sinclair comparatores are a help when trying to measure this. I recommend them.

rick smith":1bp7awou said:
Sounds too deep, shouldn't be a pressure problem. Measure to the ogive, not the tip. How did you come up with that seating depth?Rick.

I measured tip to tip what is the ogive sorry im still learning

I know what it is, but putting it into words, well I'll let Speer do that :lol:

The curved portion of a bullet ahead of the cylindrical, or shank, section. Also, the radius of this curve, usually expressed in calibers.

Here is a pic using the Hornady/Stoney Pointe bullet comparator. I bought one awhile back and highly recommend it.

stonpiccomparator.jpg

Back