Seconds

ElkHunter

Beginner
Jun 24, 2008
This may be a foolish question and may have been brought up before, but....what makes Nosler decide a bullet is a second? Are they defective in some way? and would you hesitate to use them on game?

I have aprox 150pcs of 160AB for a 7STW.

Good question.

Factory seconds may have cosmetic blemishes and or irregular tips. Sometimes they are over runs and may have a different color polycarbonate tip or cannelure. These are the ones that are made for Federal, Norma, Winchester, etc.
Most of the time, I can't tell the difference between first and seconds. The weight is the same and within specifications.
I can tell you that I have bought thousands of seconds and had 1 7mm 140 gr BT that was defective!

Unless I run out and am in need, all I shoot are seconds. Load development, target shooting or hunting, I use seconds.

JD338

Seconds have worked for me for a number of years. For sure the game can't tell the difference.Rick.

We could be so lucky in Canada as to be able to get Nosler Factory Seconds. I would use them without hesitation.

Same here as JD. I have been buying and using seconds a whole lot. I have found a few of the 22 cal 60PT's without rear cores, and a few of them with misplaced cannelures but of all the rest of the calibers, they have been flawless. My 7mm Accubonds have red tips, but man they look pretty good loaded up. I use them for hunting, shooting and targets also. Scotty

Kimber. Check out Bivwak.com. They have a bunch of 160gr Partitions with your name on them! Scotty

thanks fellas...I will use them without hesitation and go beat up some critters

I think the 160 AB should be sweet in the 7STW for Elk next fall.

The 160 grain AB in the 7mm STW works very well indeed on elk (and moose, black bear, mule deer, etc.). It is a favourite load of one of my hunting partners in his STW.

The 160 grain AB in the 7mm STW works very well indeed on elk (and moose, black bear, mule deer, etc.). It is a favourite load of one of my hunting partners in his STW. I've witnessed a string of one-shot kills (when he doesn't take the fur off the neck :lol: ) that are marvellous to behold.

I've been running 150g SSII, but thinking about stepping up to 160s for next falls elk season. No problem with the SSIIs, but the copper jacket, pressures etc, I dont thinking I'm wringing all the velocity out of the STW. I received 150pcs of 160NAB seconds. I have them, might as well use them. I would think it would be a thumper coming out of the Mr. Stewie. Thanks fellas.

Back