Semi Auto Brass Catcher that can withstand heavy jostling

greenheadcaller

Beginner
Jul 8, 2014
For those who run semi auto's and like to save brass, I thought I'd share this.

http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/AR ... /tbbg6.htm

It is Tactical Brass Recovery's base model. This is what I have been using on AR's, and I like it a lot.

Over the years I tried the inexpensive Velcro bags, but when the bag begins to get some weight in in, it caused jams for me. Required constant monitoring.

I also attempted to use one of more rigid Caldwell bags that is supposed to clip on a rail mounted piece. Didn't work for me because it didn't mate well with my scope/riser mount. Also didn't like that I would have to purchase additional proprietary (and somewhat expensive for what they are) clips for additional guns if I wanted to switch more easily. Also a pain to keep track of when casing/uncasing the gun.

I found this Tactical Brass Recovery unit and it fits my needs. What I like about it is it mounts to a picatinny rail....folds down for casing ... flexes out for checking or attending to chamber ... and can get knocked around while staying where ya need it.

This bag works great if you are in a prairie dog field, loading/unloading gear etc a lot hunting varmints, running drills, or off the bench...whatever. At roughly $85 it isn't the cheapest thing in the world .... but if I added up all the junk I bought over the years that didn't work...I would have been money ahead with this thing.

The base model attaches/detaches using a self contained thumb screw. On-off in under a minute...well under. I looked at the QD model...and after experiencing how quick the thumb screw is...I'd consider saving the dough. ymmv

Keep in mind you do need either a side (with the model I have) or a top picatinny rail to mount to use this . They have models for a number of different configurations.

On some applications I have a slick sided/non-railed free float handguards. I picked up inexpensive 1.5 inch picatinny rail sections and drilled/tapped a couple of holes in the rails to mount it.. they works fine...easily move unit from one use to the next.

Construction is light metal, plastic, and fabric. Not too heavy. I have used mine a lot on various guns and it's held up well.

Hopefully this will help someone if you are frustrated with the other "solutions" out there like I was until I found this one. These are not very well advertised imo, so thought would share.

That is pretty beefy brass catcher!

I had the same problems with the velcro style, until one day I just decided to keep the bottom unzipped. The cases fall neatly/ closely to my side, mitigating the weight and FTF issues. It is very helpful when working up loads and having to inspect individual cases for pressure signs since it drops the case right next to you and you don't have to go searching for it.

Welcome aboard, Wyo7200. Sounds as if you worked out using your brass catcher to your satisfaction. I can see how that would work for those using the catcher. Good tip.

Back