Sheep down

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
So the better half was the fortunate 1 of 3 to draw a bighorn sheep permit for a ewe in a disability hunt. The day started with meeting another couple who had the same permit and shared the area with them as we all looked for sheep. There’s were plenty spotted but we gave way to hunters with Ram permits as they are harder to draw and once in a lifetime. So we left sheep to find sheep, not my first choice but her tag and threats what we did. All we found were juvi rams and mature rams for the rest of the morning. As we headed out sheep we’re spotted near the area we entered in the am and a stalk was planned. We hiked up a canyon on a old road that was decommissioned for a half mile popping out on top looking for sheep, they were gone, hiked more they had to go up hill and found nothing. Bummed we headed back down when I stopped and turned on the radio the other hunters had let us use and they said they are right below you guys. We got down low crawled and all they other things trying to get into range for her to shoot. She got set up I ranged them 166 yards using a weatherby vanguard in 30/06 with 180 grain Partition, I knew she had enough gun but if she was steady enough to shoot after hiking was the next question. We settled down and relaxed, really looking over the herd. With 14 ewes , 2 juvi rams and a mature ram in the herd we really needed to be positive of her quarry. We found a good sheep that was broadside and clear of others and she I am ready.I watched through the bingos and it was bang flop, done right there. Bullet went right through shoulder taking out the lungs. She was ecstatic, I was proud. Took pix and went to truck to get the pack frame. Loaded her up and hauled her out. It was a great day.

Attachments

• 2CD84CA7-EF24-4534-AF03-E231B06D8A26.jpeg
    2CD84CA7-EF24-4534-AF03-E231B06D8A26.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 314
Eric,
A great story on a fantastic hunt. Your wife did an awesome job on her sheep. Congratulations to both of you.

JD338

That sounds so fun. Glad she drew a tag and you got to do it together!

Great shot! Great Picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey- that is outstanding! Kudos to you for giving way to the guys with ram tags and also to them for helping put you on your wifes ram. Thats how it all should work out! Congrats to your wife for meeting the challenge. Good for both of you and the memories you made. CL

What a great account of a marvellous hunt. Congratulations all the way around.

Congrats on the adventure and memories...not to mention the tasty meals yet to be shared!

Excellent table fare, had sheep fajitas this evening, very mild and delicious.

Back