Shilen Barrels, any reason I shouldn't use one?

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I'm wanting to build a .338-06. I've got the M70 action, going with the PT&G one piece bottom metal, and have the McMillan edge inletted for the Montana 1999 and opened up for a #3 Shilen contour that I picked up used.

The reason I ask is I can buy a #3 contoured Shilen for about $100 less than others I've looked at Pac-Nor and McGowen plus there is no wait time on the barrel. The only other custom barrels I'v shot are Lilja which I have on my current .338-06 and .25-06 and a McGowen on my Savage .243. This Shilen is quite a bit less than the Lilja's I've been running.

I've found that it takes a few rounds to get the barrel to settle in but never found anything bad online about them.

I have not shot one but have a number of friends that use them and really like them. I know that they are top quality in all their products :)

Blessings,
Dan

I've never used a Shilen, but have heard only good things about them. Believe David Tubb used quite a few Shilens over the years in his NRA Highpower competition.

I used a #3, 26" Shilen barrel on my 280 Ackley and I have been very happy with it so far. It is still pretty new, but I've had good luck with early load development. It was highly reccomended by my gunsmith. For what it's worth...
BP

Go ahead and use Shilen. You can't go wrong. Although I only own one Shilen (6MM Remington) I have friends that has them on their rifle and they're all very accurate. DF

Shilen has a good reputation that has persisted for quite a while. I would think you would be pleased with a Shilen barrel.

Well, like Dessert Fox, I only have one Shilen and it is on a 6mm Remington. I shoots so good I cannot believe it. I am very pleased with the barrel and would not hesitate to buy another.

I have had a select match SS Shilen 25-06 26" #6 on a Sportsman 78 Rem. action for around 15 years and it is a tack driver and a deer stacker. It will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long or better. I have a Chrome Molly 27 3/4" long #5 Shilen on a 700 Rem action in 264 Win mag for the past 3 years and it is a tack driver and deer stacker also. I am averaging 3350 fps with Retumbo and 130 Accubonds and 1/2 MOA accuracy with it. I would not hesitate one moment on getting another Shilen barrel.

I have 2 Shilen blanked guns, with a 3rd that I sold. I sold the 3rd, as the chamber wasn't to my liking, which took it our of my accuracy wants. It shot well enough for the most part however. But that wasn't a Shilen issue. The other 2, are excellent barrels and shoot very good. One is on an 800 yd PD rig. Although with that said, I have better with Pac-Nor. It's your money, your choice, your wants, I don't think you will be unhappy with the decission of a Shilen.

I have two SSK built 300 whisper barrels that are Shillen Match grade barrels. I am very happy with both rifle and pistol length. Neighborhood deer not so much.

Back