Shilen Match SS barrel #3 Contour

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I have a newer Remington 700 sps long action that has been wasting safe space so I have decided to build a rifle. I have ordered a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour .30, 1/10 twist barrel and plan to chamber in 30-06....Cant explain why, I have no need for one, never liked the cartridge, and really don't see myself hunting with it, but I guess it could be a nice accurate loner rifle.

Anyways, wanted to get some feedback good or bad about Shilen Match barrels. Can I still cerakote over the stainless finish if I desire? The number 3 contours finishes about .625 at 24" - thick enough to flute? Lastly, are shilen barrels picky or when done right do they shoot well?

I plan to load a 180 nosler Partition dummy round just shy of magazine length (So it will still feed) and chamber based on that round/dimensions.

My 260 has a 1-8 shilen barrel. It is proving to be very accurate shooting well under .5 MOA With a couple of different loads.

I also have a shilen barrel on my 375 RUM. It was the lightest contour 375 barrel I could find. It also shoots exceptionally well but is challenging to shoot off the bench for extended range sessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great barrels. I have one for my Contender chambered in 6.5JDJ.

JD338

I had a 700 short action classic rebarrel with a Shilen #3 in 358Win. Very happy they did everything squared up the action, pillar bedded it and free floated. Mine is blued so I have a 700 classic in 358win but match grade. Back before you could get a Ruger in 358win or the 338 fed was invented.

My .280 AI I had built has a Shilen match grade stainless barrel. It seems to shoot very well. I hope to get out soon to do some more range work, but it sure seems to want to shoot very well. I shot my cow elk with a 140 gr. Partition at 450 yards, one shot! Shot my buck at about 200 yards one shot.

Take a look at how I had mine coated. My gunsmith used this and it is one of those various coatings that are out there. Now I've only hunted for two weeks with my rifle, but it was wet, cold, and snowy. It held up great and I never saw any rust issues, and it looks really sharp. This stuff like many others comes in a variety of colors.

John Norrell Arms Moly Resin

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32186

And YES you will love your 30-06!!! :grin:

I believe that all the top barrel makers are real accurate these days with the computer machinery they use :wink:. I have 2 rifles with custom barrels a PacNor & a Kreiger both are SS match. I have one that is Powder coated and the other is Cerakoted both have held up very well.

Blessings,
Dan

Would it be safe to assume I could pick up 50fps across the board if I had the smith put this barrel together finished at 25" ?

idahohunter8":2klycfs4 said:
Would it be safe to assume I could pick up 50fps across the board if I had the smith put this barrel together finished at 25" ?

No...I don't think so...more like 25 fps.

I have a 35 Whelen and a 260 that have Shilen #3's. Both are finished at 23". Both shoot very well. The 260 I had cerakoted sniper grey which came out pretty nice. I think you will be pretty happy.

Back