Shooting across water??

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
So I have a place on my property where I can get off some 200 yard practice with a great backstop. However, I would have to shoot across our lake . Disclaimer; I have a high lake dam and will not be shooting into water and not even shooting at a target that will be close to the water. Gravity is a constant but I have heard / read conflicting reports about ballistics being affected when shooting across bodies of water. Does anyone have any experience on this?

My 200 and 250 yard gongs as well as a food plot I hunt is over my pond. I haven't noticed any difference shooting over the water.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_105733050.jpg
    IMG_20221231_105733050.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 8
I think the laws against shooting over water are to discourage folks from shooting over trout fishermen.

The anglers are likely having a bad enough day without bullets whizzing past overhead. ;)

I know of no reason why shooting across water would affect the flight of the bullet. One could come up with some theories I guess...

Guy

Gravity is for all intents and purposes constant, certainly over such a short distance. I guess you could theoretically have differences in atmospheric density over water but nothing over the distance you are talking about I wouldn’t have thought

Alex

Environmental conditions can be different over water. As mentioned air density, but also humidity and temperature. Enough to matter? I doubt it. As the density of water and the density of rock are different, gravity will be different, but by such small amounts that's it really just a technicality that only matters to physicists and philosophers.

I think the laws against shooting over water are to discourage folks from shooting over trout fishermen.

The anglers are likely having a bad enough day without bullets whizzing past overhead. ;)

I know of no reason why shooting across water would affect the flight of the bullet. One could come up with some theories I guess...

Guy
LOL...conspiracy theories perhaps.

Back