Shooting bench

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
This may get moved but am wondering if anybody cares to post pics of their shooting range.
eac43a8aa642274a7365236cea0d449e.jpg
d45f59f61d9b9e00985bdfdc60ca0c8d.jpg
5202384c6d61a07f2e878002e932897b.jpg
baf44ff558343fe394ee7485d1f4397e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few places that I shoot. For stretching it out a little I can go up to 400 yards at a friends place. We use a portable bench that sets up in a few minutes which is as stable as any concrete bench I have used.

The "issue" with this place is the property ungulates a little. For shots up to 230 yards and 375 to 430 yards the bench can rest on the ground. 300 yards places me a little low so I have to put the bench in the back of my truck. A little unconventional but, it works well.

Approx. 200 yards and under
DSCN3289.jpg

Using the truck to elevate enough at 300 yards
DSCN3760.jpg

A friend at 400 yards. From this pic you can barely see the target
DSCN3309.jpg

Question,

What site do you use for your pictures? The site I use is horrible to navigate anymore and half the time it won't pull up certain pics.

c. schutte":361o4dyl said:
There are a few places that I shoot. For stretching it out a little I can go up to 400 yards at a friends place. We use a portable bench that sets up in a few minutes which is as stable as any concrete bench I have used.

The "issue" with this place is the property ungulates a little. For shots up to 230 yards and 375 to 430 yards the bench can rest on the ground. 300 yards places me a little low so I have to put the bench in the back of my truck. A little unconventional but, it works well.

Approx. 200 yards and under
DSCN3289.jpg

Using the truck to elevate enough at 300 yards
DSCN3760.jpg

A friend at 400 yards. From this pic you can barely see the target
DSCN3309.jpg

It sure would be nice to have a longer range, but due to the way the land sits here, I am limited to 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use Photobucket Chuck.

My old bench is about 8 years old now. It's getting to the point where I need a new one pretty soon. Still good enough for this year though.

This is my favorite as there is always some shade. I use it for 25 and 50 yard targets. Mostly muzzleloaders and pistols. I rake the ground for pistol shooting so it's easier to find my brass.
I have a couple more spots for longer range shooting but my property is not flat, just enough roll to block off my targets. Most of it is taken up by my horses so I have limited choices for 100 yards and over.
My bench here is simply 2 old folding plastic sawhorses that I reinforced. I made a table top out of plywood and made it stable by adding 2X4's to the bottom. It's a lot more steady than I thought it would be.
I also use an old camera tripod which works out good also. I can quickly move it to another distance if I need to.
Both are portable and real steady. But for real precision when shooting centerfires I travel to a shooting range with better benches.

Attachments

• SS850019 (640x480).jpg
    SS850019 (640x480).jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • SS850051 (1024x768).jpg
    SS850051 (1024x768).jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 1,043
Here is mine that my brother, dad, and I built and use on the powerline of a friends property. We used old pallets and scrap wood and metal roofing for a budget build

Attachments

• IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 971
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 971
Am fortunate enough to live about 15 minutes from the North Central Washington Gun Club (Home of the Wind Buckers!). Have been a member there for 20+ years and am on the board. Mostly that means I do a fair bit of volunteer work at the club. I enjoy it.

The club has:
Indoor small bore range (air rifle only these days)
Indoor archery range
Outdoor archery range
Three trap fields
Covered and Open pistol bays
Rifle ranges to 600 yards
And a town built for cowboy action shooting "Fort Aimless"

We're way up in membership the past few years. Had been holding steady at around 500 members for decades, but we're at 1200+ members now! Good & bad. Harder to find an open spot to shoot, but the extra income from the dues money has helped us fund a lot of improvements to the range.

A few photos:

I'm teaching a handgun class on one of the open pistol bays:

We get to do some pretty fast & furious self-defense handgun training there:

One of the club buildings. I do most of my "classroom time" here:

300 yard firing line, concrete. Practice with the 30-06 Remington last winter. We have good, solid benches, but I don't use them often.

Some 300 yard warmer weather practice with the 30-06 rifle. I love to hang a steel target at 300 yards and practice my field positions with my hunting rifles. With enough practice a shooter can hit pretty consistently!

Youngest son, practicing with his 30-06 Model of 1917. Targets at 100, 200 and 300 yards:

It's a good range, and I'm working to make it better. Love being able to shoot 600 yards, pretty much anytime I want.

Guy

Just a thought after posting those photos. I seem to spend a fair amount of time at the gun club. Between volunteer work at the club, board meetings, my own recreational shooting, and conducting firearms classes...

I like that! Lots of time at the range!

Guy

I have to travel a ways to get to the club where I shoot my rifles and they have recently put a nice metal roof over the firing line. I can only get 100yds here but it is safe and I can shoot unmolested and have the range to myself if I go threw the week in the mourning.
They have a 7yd,25yd,50yd and 100yd berms.
I usually find a lot of spent 223 brass at the 7yd line but can't figure out why.
The post and wood frame is shot to pieces. :shock:
I guess that's why they call them the spray and pray crowd. :lol:

Attachments

• KIMG0372.jpg
    KIMG0372.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 936
  • KIMG0373.jpg
    KIMG0373.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 936
  • KIMG0374.jpg
    KIMG0374.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 936
That's a nice looking range.

Ya, I enjoy shooting my AR-15, but dang guys... Shooting up the post and the wood frame? Sad... Really sad.

We get some yahoos at my range who insist on shooting the posts. It's really easy to replace the 4x8' pieces of plywood for target backers, but when they shoot up the 4x4" upright posts... It adds a lot of work for this fellow. In our case, it's mostly the gray haired guys who blast the posts with their handguns. They like to lean clay pigeons up against the posts and shoot 'em - completely against club rules - but the old SOB's don't care.

Guy

Guy Miner":2fuk2q72 said:
That's a nice looking range.

Ya, I enjoy shooting my AR-15, but dang guys... Shooting up the post and the wood frame? Sad... Really sad.

We get some yahoos at my range who insist on shooting the posts. It's really easy to replace the 4x8' pieces of plywood for target backers, but when they shoot up the 4x4" upright posts... It adds a lot of work for this fellow. In our case, it's mostly the gray haired guys who blast the posts with their handguns. They like to lean clay pigeons up against the posts and shoot 'em - completely against club rules - but the old SOB's don't care.

Guy
We don't have that problem Guy, it's the bunch who want to practice close combat drills and fire from the hip.
The club uses poly safety netting for backer and put clothes pins out to hang the targets with. Some of the pistol shooter have a hard time hitting a B27 at 7yds and I try to get everything I need to do before these people show up which is around lunch time and latter.

Back