Shooting factory this year .358 Win. Update.

Have carried the Whelen with the 200 gr TTSX but haven't shot anything with them. Hope that changes soon, they sound like a great bullet.

gerry":qx20zvwh said:
Have carried the Whelen with the 200 gr TTSX but haven't shot anything with them. Hope that changes soon, they sound like a great bullet.

The 225 TSX worked decent on elk, betting the Tipped versions would open better and give a little more dramatic impact.

SJB358":3j983l6m said:
gerry":3j983l6m said:

The 225 TSX worked decent on elk, betting the Tipped versions would open better and give a little more dramatic impact.

Shot one moose with the 225 gr TSX and it worked well, I also think the tipped version is a definite improvement.

I loaded 200 grain TSX in both my 358 Win and 350 RM. The only game I've taken with that bullet was an elk with the 350 RM. The elk went down rather dramatically. The 180 grain TSX in my 300 WSM accounted for several elk, moose and mule deer in years past. None walk away.

I've had fantastically goor results with the 225 gr. TSX from my .35 Whelen. Of the four elk I've taken with it, two were bang flop DRT and two anchored so solidly that they could not go anywhere even though they tried. That rifle, cartridge and bullet have sure impressed me. This last January I regressed a bit and used my 30-06 with 165 gr. Accubonds. Same result, one shot and one dead elk. Probably will try a day to two with my 7x57 if I can get a load I like but will finish off with the .35 Whelen if nothing was taken with the 7x57.
Paul B.

Bonz":3m7nvlda said:
Here is the bullet test post I made a while back and some old style X recoveries from elk, with a 200 TTSX for visual comparison.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31588

Enjoy!

That was a great post you made up Bonz. Always enjoy seeing all of the recovered bullets. My Whelen is unscoped at the moment, but you have given me some motivation to get it back up and do some shooting with the lighter bullets. I figure I have the 35 Newton for the heavier bullets right now, might as well see what the Whelen does with the lighter bullets.

Back