Smoky range session

Xbolt270

Beginner
Jan 10, 2021
I went to the range today to put a few rounds down range. Oddly, my .270 turned into a black powder rifle!

The stats:
50.5gr IMR 4350
160gr Partition
~2,700fps
Large Rifle primers

Temp was 88 degrees with high humidity.

Round is very very accurate out of my rifle, and is consistent

Smoke was whiteish

Thanks for any ideas why this smoke pole did what it did!

was it the first couple of shots ? if so it was probably the oil , or cleaner left in the bbl after cleaning .

jimbires":1y21099r said:
was it the first couple of shots ? if so it was probably the oil , or cleaner left in the bbl after cleaning .

It persisted through 15 rounds.

The rifle began almost soaking wet, so that may have something to do with it (condensation from being taken out of an A/C vehicle into bathtub-like Georgia)

Fifteen rounds is a bit much to lay blame on oil or other contaminants left in the chamber. That amount of oil would show evidence of oil dents in the brass. The amount of smoke you indicate could seem to indicate a deterioration of the propellant. Did you chronograph the loads? Were you aware of any changes in the sound of ignition? Did the recoil feel different to you? Any of these could indicate a change in the firing sequence. The fact that the round delivered acceptable accuracy would seem to indicate that you didn't have a significant difference in burn rate. It does merit giving some attention to the next loads you work up.

DrMike":3v4jlk1m said:
Fifteen rounds is a bit much to lay blame on oil or other contaminants left in the chamber. That amount of oil would show evidence of oil dents in the brass. The amount of smoke you indicate could seem to indicate a deterioration of the propellant. Did you chronograph the loads? Were you aware of any changes in the sound of ignition? Did the recoil feel different to you? Any of these could indicate a change in the firing sequence. The fact that the round delivered acceptable accuracy would seem to indicate that you didn't have a significant difference in burn rate. It does merit giving some attention to the next loads you work up.

Thanks, Dr. Mike - yes, chrono had a very tight spread and accuracy was still excellent across all rounds. It now makes me feel like a ninja - I fire and disappear.

Back