Solids and second animals

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
I know some would prefer I did not post on the forum and I also know it is Thanksgiving for you gentlemen in the United States. So please excuse the intrusion.

But we recently had a rather unpleasant experience with a fellow from Europe (Germany ) and just wanted to make these statements

a. check out your PH carefully, choice whomever you like but after you make that choice--listen to him, please

b. solids are used for Elephant, Hippo and the second shot when hunting Buffalo and that is only because he is usually moving away from you and you need as much penetration as possible from that angle.

Otherwise, please do not use solids , especially on plains game when you come to Africa

c. Look at your shot before taking it when hunting plains game and make sure nothing is directly behind the animal you are hunting. Remember if you do hit a second animal, in most cases you will be responsible for paying whatever your paying for that species and you may not want to pay for two of the same species.

Thank you and for those in the Colonies, Happy Thanksgiving

Best Regards

Jamila

Thank you. I've read the same advice elsewhere.

And even some who opine that with today's excellent expanding bullets, solids may be almost unnecessary anymore.

Darned if I know!

Regards, Guy

Good post Jamila!

The caution to watch behind your target animal isn't limited to Africa, or solids for that matter.

Every year, I hear stories of folks shooting through caribou into an animal standing behind it. It's more prevalent with animals that herd up in large groups but it happens with all of them. With today's controlled expansion bullets, it's becoming rarer that a caribou, deer or antelope sized animal stops a bullet. I've only recovered a single bullet in the last 3 dozen big game animals and only had one additional without an exit wound.

I've known several people who dropped a moose only to have it stand up almost immediately. After planting the animal with a second shot, they were amazed to discover that moose had somehow become two. When a shooter is focused on an animal, another standing up even twenty yards back registers as the same animal that was just dispatched. For sure, penetration through game with modern bullets can make for some interesting explanations to conservation officers.

Good info. May save someone some frustration and some money.
And thanks for the Happy Thanksgiving

And I enjoy your posts. Keep it up.

Back