Something in 9.3

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I'm considering building a new rifle. I have set off on this mad pursuit because I picked up a stock (Winchester Featherweight for a long action). Having a stock lying around without an action or a barrel is a serious matter. It is a good enough reason to begin planning, I suppose.

There are two decided calibre deficits in my gun safe--rifles chambered in .338 and rifles chambered in 9.3 mm. I have done load development on a number of .338 cartridges, but I have never done load development for anything chambered in a 9.3 mm.

I have nothing in 9.3 mm, and I'm thinking about either a 9.3 x 62 Mauser or a 9.3 x 64 Brenneke. Whilst the 9.3 x 62 Mauser is somewhat more common in North America, the Brenneke attracts my attention. I'm less interested in the 9.3 x 66 Sako. I'm curious if any of the forum members have experience with rifles chambered in this calibre, and if so, what opinions might be registered about the minor differences in performance between the three cartridges.

I have always ben iterested in the 9.3. Let me know what you decide. If a guy was wanting to wildcat something a 375 R necked down or a 338 WM necked up would e prety cool as well.

The 9.3X62 Mauser is supposed to be a fairly potent round. It has that classic 375 H&H, 2500FPS flair to it. A big bullet at a decent velocity, I can't see why it wouldn't make an excellent moose rifle.

I'd be interested in how that round performs.

I think any of these would be potent moose medicine. They would also be excellent with grizzly the next time I get that draw. The 375R necked down to 9.3 might be interesting, but I can't see that it would differ much from the 9.3 x 66 Sako. However, necked down to .338 would be interesting. Hmmm.

DrMike,

I have no personal experience with the 9.3mm but it is indeed a good caliber with a lot of allure to it. The 9.3 x 64 Brenneke loaded with a 286 gr PT at 2600 fps would certainly give you some serious power for Moose and Grizzly Bear. I am thinking the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke would fall between a 35 Whelen and a 375 H&H.

JD338

The 9.3 has interested me more than once. I have wanted one of the CZ rifles, and since they are chambered in a 9.3 with a full length stock, I would think it would make an excellent, hard hitting rifle. Seems there are plenty of hunting bullets available for the 9.3 also.

On the flip side, I think everybody needs one 338 of one kind or another. Very useful cartridge, and bullets galore. Maybe not as neat as a 9.3 but still very useful for about anything. Good luck Mike, I know you will get something neat, hopefully it doesn't have to replace something you already have though! Scotty

I am thinking the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke would fall between a 35 Whelen and a 375 H&H.

Jim, that is what I am thinking. It would be fun, just because I've not loaded for it to date.

Scotty, I am giving some consideration to either a 338-06 or a 338 Federal down the road. The 338 Federal has somewhat more appeal now that headstamped brass is available. Previously, the fact that I couldn't get headstamped brass kept me from rushing in. I passed up a really nice Tikka T3 in 338 Federal last year. Maybe next year. For the moment, I'm really focused on the 9.3, and I lean more to the Brenneke, even though I know that obtaining brass will be somewhat of a problem.

That Brenneke looks really impressive looking at the Nosler #6, with a 250 at 2800 and a 286 at nearly 2700! That is some serious medicine for your upcoming grizzly excursion. Wow, I bet it may be a little tough to find cases, I didn't see anything on Midway. Can you use anything else available in order to make cases. That is a pretty awesome round, ifn you could get close to what Nosler is stating.

Now I see why you are avoiding the 338 for now. There are no flys on that round. If the 9.3's were legal in more Africa Countries, I bet it would be very popular, since the 9.3mm seems to be another one of the magic cartridges that has excellent SD and BC numbers for a variety of bullet weights, kind of like the 6.5's, 7mm, 30 and 338 cals. Can't wait to see what you decide. That looks like a pure hunting cartridge. Scotty

Scotty,

The cartridge in the Nosler Guide is the 9.3 x 62 Mauser. There is no data there for the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke. Norma and Hornady make brass for the Mauser, which would mean that it would be fairly easy to get. I believe only RWS makes brass for the Brenneke, which is why is somewhat hard to find in the states. If I dart this direction, I'll have to make certain I buy enough brass to last for some time.

Mike, they do have the 9.3 x64 Brenneke data in the Nosler #6, at least mine does. They have data for the 250gr AccuBond and 286gr PT. You are right about cases. I have been looking around for them, and haven't came up with any yet. Scotty

Mike, they do have the 9.3 x64 Brenneke data in the Nosler #6.

I can't believe how blind I've become! Must be a mark of advanced age; no wonder I've begun hunting by braille. There it is, right after the 9.3 x 74R. I skipped right over it and went to the 375 H & H. Thanks for pointing that out. Now, I will have to read this. For certain, you can see the appeal for big game. It would be a thumper, especially loaded to full potential. I'm definitely leaning in this direction. I suppose I had better start looking for a donor rifle shortly. I have a stock. That is a good start!

No worries, that is what we are here for. Looking at Nosler, I don't know if you would do much better than the 286gr PT at 2600. That would be a thumper for sure, and shoot plenty flat. What a sleeper of a round. Scotty

It looks to be rather pricey.

Yes, and it does not get any cheaper coming to Canada! :shock:

Huntington's was the only place I was able to find the brass during a previous search. We deal with Huntington's through the gun store, so I know I at least have access to it if I go that direction (which is quite likely).

Dr. Mike/SB

This is where life has failed me. Just reading this post makes me dizzy. I got lost when scotty says everyone should own a .338. I would go over to my local Cabelas buy a .338 or .340b out of the Gun Barn, dies, couple of boxes of bullet, sack of cases and be shooting it day after tomorow. Probably take a shot at an elk by this fall. You two will still be fussing about cases with headstamps, a caliber that was probably developed in the 1800's and what stock you will put on it.
Scotty this might be a project for that 721 that I am hacksawing into little pieces as we speak.
All kidding aside sounds like a great project ( I hate projects, I would rather hunt) couldn't pass up one more snipe. Goodddddddddddd luck Dr. Mike and keep us informed!!!!!!! I will be following your progress as the years roll by.

Older elk hunter!

I am with you Bill, but next to hunting, rifles are a second favorite, and since I can't hunt elk year round and have to wait till November this year, all I have to do with my time is make loads for my rifles and think about the next rifle I want. You would like the 338 Bill. If you already have a good action, with your 721, you are almost halfway there. Plus, within 500 yards or maybe a bit further a 338 with a sleek bullet would surely put elk down to stay. Probably no better than your 300 Mags have done, but I kinda think the larger bores really take the life out of them a hair faster.

Mike is looking at the 9.3's and really, this is the first real time I have seen much on them. The 9.3 Brenneke he is looking at building will push a 250 into the 2700-2800 range, and it is just hair smaller than the 375. I think he is looking to build himself a rifle for his next grizzly tag.

Here is the Nosler data on it. Scotty

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=9.3mm&s=282

Elkman,

I do get plenty of opportunities to hunt. I have a stable of off-the-shelf rifles, and they all shoot quite well. Candidly, if cleanly taking game is my sole consideration, many of my rifles will perform more than adequately. I really enjoy load development and then taking game with a load that I developed. If the cartridge is "exotic" (and that does include some that were developed in the nineteenth, or even the eighteenth centuries) it heightens the allure for me. I doubt that it is reinventing the wheel, but with new powders and new bullets, it provides an enjoyable challenge and diversion. Once this project is complete, I'll likely use the rifle to take an elk or two, likely a moose or two, and you may be assured that it will be a bear gun... just because.

Mike, I resent the link to your email. Has a bunch of bullet tests on it, from 338 up to .50's. Scotty

Dr. Mike

I have been trying unsuccessfully off and on for about a year to develop a load for an old 721 that my dad left me. Got really busy early last year and then this spring. Last year load development went south when the scope on the rifle went south. So I sent the scope in had it fixed tried a few more loads and gave the gun back to the smith. After a new stock, bedding and whatever trickery he could imagine I got it back after elk season. So again weather permitting I started in again. After close to 100 rounds I found my self no farther along so I changed scopes last week and loaded some more and tried again. Out of 8 shots 6 were on a 13" square target, those at best were around a foot group. So I am able to realize when I have been beat and will put it back in the safe for a while and shoot rifles that I can hit a target with and not handload for the sheer joy of just sending lead down wind. So now you know why I was poking fun at you two. I am fed up with development and want to shoot and see holes in the paper. Scotty knows the whole story he has been coaching me on poweders . Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back