Something in 9.3

There are some rifles that we just have to let go. I had a 7 x 57 once that gave me at best 3 inch groups, no matter what I did. When an opportunity came to trade it for another rifle, I didn't think twice. On the other hand, I just finished work with a .308 yesterday that the owner said would not shoot. Over twelve loads produced 0.5 inch groups or less, and one going into 0.17 inch. Good shooting rifle that just needed some attention to detail. It is always a challenge to work with something new. It looks as if I'll shortly be receiving a 460 Wby and a 375 Ruger to work on. Hmmmm. In any case, a challenge, and I do enjoy the challenge.

Dr. Mike
I am hopeing that you did not take offense to my post last night. I did not mean in any way that you and many others should not enjoy tweaking, building, modifying your rifles, pistols, fishing rods and or whatever. What I ment to say is that it is not for me. I love shooting and most of all hunting but I want to spend very little time in the art, science, and associated skill in putting them together or modifying them. I buy em have them tuned then hope to never have to mess with them again. In fact I believe the more I mess with them the greater chance that I will screw something up.
I would love that .308 send it to me anytime any time I could take it for walks here. That is really fine accuracy
I have been working with a new Marlin XLS or XL or something like that. I bought it last year and have been off and on load development. Its a right off the shelf rifle, the only thing I did was take up the trigger a very little bit. I am consistently getting 3/4" with about 3 seperate loads and will pick a load soon and never mess with it again. Really not bad for $320 gun brand new.
As you are knowledgeable in the gun stuff I will ask you a question. I repainted my primary gunstock last year for the third time. Its a Chet Brown with no checkering. While carrying it around last fall I noticed that its now very slick especially while wearing gloves, and I don't like the feel. I would like to overcoat it or even just overcoat the areas where I carry it and around the action. Any ideas of something a little more sticky feeling?
Enjoy the day!!!!!!!

Elkman,

I took no umbrage, seeing your post as a realistic statement. I have friends that see guns as tools and use them as such; we are still friends. I have other friends that see them as works of art, though they do much less hunting than I choose to do. I fall somewhere in between. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. However, ultimately, the rifle is designed to send a projectile at high velocity either into paper or into flesh. In either case, ultimately the rifle is meant to be a precision instrument. The higher the degree of precision, the more interesting the rifle and the more useful as a tool. In fact, the beauty of the rifle is enhanced by the precision. The "bug holes" that are pictured here from time-to-time by the posters transform what would otherwise be a homely rifle into works of art. On the other hand, there are instances of beautifully crafted pieces of wood and metal that are repulsive because they fail to live up to the promise (something like a "gold ring in a pig's snout").

As to your stock issue, I'd suggest using a rubberized paint to make it somewhat tacky. There are several available on the market.

My project is one step closer to reality. I ordered an action and a barrel today. I'll go with a Winchester classic action as I want a controlled-round feed, and either a Hart or a Pac-Nor barrel. Neither Kreiger nor Shilen produce 9.3 mm barrels. I managed to locate brass, and ordered 200 pieces for myself (and another 100 for a customer). I've set aside bullets (TSX and PTs). I should be up and running before too late in the year. Perhaps I'll be able to carry this rifle in the fall.

Dr. Mike keep us posted on the progress. Many a times have I flipped through the Nosler manual and pondered a 9.3 of some sort. Best of luck!

The brass was pricey ($2.50 per case). However, RWS appears to want to sell only loaded ammunition, so the brass is difficult to find. Actually, I found only one place that carries it, and that is in Cranbrook, BC (although European Arms in Vancouver says they have it from time-to-time). I had originally planned on using one of the new Defiance controlled-round actions which is to be available in the fall. However, there is no guarantee that they will be modeling them on the Winchester dimensions, and I began this project with a Winchester stock. It is all fun.

Back