Speer magtip

stew

Beginner
Feb 6, 2016
Any one have any experience pros/cons with the 7mm caliber 160 gr Speer mag tip
have some on the way to try in the 7mm mag and 280.
Thanks.

I just loaded some recently for my 280.
First trip to the range weren't impressive. No experience on game yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderman":90jlpasb said:
I just loaded some recently for my 280.
First trip to the range weren't impressive. No experience on game yet.

Thanks Alderman
Most of what I have read are they are great or they arnt but that seems to go with any bullet. I wouldn't have tried them but there was enough in the bunch that if they do shoot well will have enough to last awhile.

One load and one try doesn't prove anything. I've had good luck on the first try, loaded a bunch and ended up with duds.
Hope they work for you. From what I've read, they are a good bullet.

Not a target bullet, great mid speed hunting bullet thou IMO. I like the old yellow box 180 grain Mag Tip in my 20" Savage 99 .308 Win. Like to run it about 2400-2500 fps with Varget.

Shot pretty well in my 280. Hell on deer. Good balance of penetraton and expansion. Not a target bullet, but great terminal performance in tight cover. If you don't like them, drop me a pm, I'd gladly take them.

Never took anything heavy with them but the 160 Magtips worked well on a few deer I took with them out of my 7mm Rem.

I used the 175 grain MagTip in my 7RM for quite a few years. Worked very well on moose, black bear and mule deer. It was quite accurate over a stiff charge of H870.

Well the bullets arrived will now get some loaded and see how they do, there was a few 175 gr included as well. Sorry Polaris I live in Canada so can not send them to you.
Will try them in the 7mm mag first with imr 4831 and 7828.

Back