Spring Weather

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spring weather causes me great delight! Changes so much! Yesterday I was in jeans & t-shirt, working in my yard and vegetable garden. Mama snapped the photo of her 64 year old gardener removing a big ol' lilac bush/tree:

ROXysAgh.jpg

Last night it snowed.... LOL! Not much mind you, just the typical spring storm that comes in and dumps an inch or so, then moves on. I suspect it will all have melted away by noon today. But it's fun.

A few years back I had some folks from Oklahoma and Texas coming here to Washington to do a 600 mile 4wd trip from Oregon to Canada. Seems to me it was scheduled for June or July. They asked about weather... I hesitated, thought, and recalled that somewhere in Washington, I'd been snowed on every single month of the year! Including July, August and September!

So - told them to bring jackets & hats. Weather turned out to be remarkably nice for that trip, but we got up to a pretty decent elevation in the Cascades, and a fellow just never really knows.

Spring weather... Difficult to predict here.

Regards, Guy

Same here Guy. Our turkey season starts 4/17 and it will really start to feel like spring yet we still can't rule out a snow storm. Flowers usually get planted Memorial weekend.
As for being a lumber jack, swinging a 12 lb. maul will keep you in shape. I pulled a few Russian Olives out here last year. Some were huge but no match for the Duramax.

JD338

Yup, same here. More snow coming later this week. It's soon going to be the third snowiest season on record.
Meanwhile, we are finishing up clearing 15 acers of Russian Olive and Multi Floral Rose. Been cutting most of it with a chain saw and treating the remaining invasive species with Garlon4.
Next January I will put a dent in the next section, only about 45 acers to go.
Working with the chainsaw is a workout. It's keeping this 63 year old fit and trim.

JD338

we have buds on trees , and my daffodils are up . it wouldn't be the first time things got froze though .

JD , the road I cut through on the lease , is through a bunch of autumn olive . wow is that stuff miserable . there is acres and acres of it . I'm assuming you paint the cut off stumps and the Garlon4 kills it ?

P3150562.JPG

Last edited:
we have buds on trees , and my daffodils are up . it wouldn't be the first time things got froze though .

JD , the road I cut through on the lease , is through a bunch of autumn olive . wow is that stuff miserable . there is acres and acres of it . does that Garlon4 kill it ?
Jim,

Russian/Autumn Olive is indeed miserable stuff. You can cut it, at least here in MI, from late August through early/mid April. At this time the plant is absorbing and the herbicide is effective. Outside these dates, the plant is pushing out for growth.

Garlon4 kills these invasive plants however you need to add a surfactant to it so it adheres to the fresh cut. Diesel fuel works well but is frowned upon by many.

Some of these Russian Olive are big. This one was 16" across. If you don't kill the root system, they will regenerate.
I'll never understand why GOD created mosquitoes, bald face hornets, Multi Floral Rose and Russian Olive.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_164153134.jpg
    IMG_20230112_164153134.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 93357.jpeg
    93357.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 6
Similar story with black berries. You can cripple them spraying in the spring but you won’t be real effective spraying until fall, October is ideal around here. The berries have ripened and fallen off they suck the poison right down to the roots. We’ve a lot of Hawthorn on our place, burns real well but the three inch thorns will get you.

JD , thank you , this gives me something to look at .

I had a few big tangled up stumps , but nothing near 16" .

Back