Squib shot

bboswell

Beginner
Feb 20, 2016
Rifle came to me with bullet stuck 1/2 way down the barrel. Rifle will close easily on a no-go chamber gauge. This excessive head space can lead to lite primer strikes for sure.

But can a lite primer strike cause incomplete ignition thus causing the squib?

I doubt the primer could cause this . I'd bet it was a powder charge issue . did the guy say if the rifle went bang when he fired it ? no bang or little bang , no recoil , spent primer , bullet stuck in bbl , I'd say equals no powder . I've proven this theory in my 1911 / 45acp .

Dunno, but I cleared a bullet from another shooter's .308 Win barrel. He's pretty sure he just forgot to put powder in the case when he handloaded it. I agree with him...

I set the rifle upright for a while, with some Kroil in the barrel, to hopefully seep/creep in and loosen the bullet, then used a wooden dowel and a mallet to gently tap the bullet free. Appeared to be no damage to the rifle.

Guy

jimbires":2d4q8ume said:
I doubt the primer could cause this . I'd bet it was a powder charge issue . did the guy say if the rifle went bang when he fired it ? no bang or little bang , no recoil , spent primer , bullet stuck in bbl , I'd say equals no powder . I've proven this theory in my 1911 / 45acp .

Was a high school age boy shooting, he said 1st shot missed so he loaded another but couldn't get another shot so he ejected 2nd round.

I was at a bullseye match when it happened to me , I thought I had a missfire . the slide never moved , there was no recoil .with the other guys shooting I couldn't say how loud mine was . I racked the slide and the brass case came out with no bullet and a spent primer . thankfully I emptied the gun and checked it out . the bullet was just about pushed all the way through the bbl . I was shooting 185gr swc bullets . I'm still surprised how far the primer pushed that bullet . my buddy had a brass rod that I put in the muzzle and banged the rod on the cement sidewalk to push the bullet back out . sinclair sell brass drop rods . I'm not sure if these would push the bullet out of the rifle for you , or not .

I'm glad the boy is safe , it could have been bad .

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-parts-t ... 33852.aspx

Back