Steel or Aluminum Picatinny Rail Scope Mount?

BeeTee

Handloader
Jul 27, 2011
I'm thinking about going with a picatinny rail scope mount on my Rem 700 7RM. One of the questions is whether to go steel or aluminum. Steel is heavier, but its coefficient of expansion should be about the same as the rifle's receiver. Steel is likely more recoil impact resistant, but the same rail made from 7075 aluminum is lighter and likely well up to the task in terms of recoil resistance. I already have 3 sets of Warne steel rings (2-med & 1-hi).

EGW has the rail mount in both aluminum or steel.
http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/

What do you guys think?

Jim

Probably would depend on the rifle. My two rifles with rails are an M70 Coyote and a 700 ADL SS. The Winchester, being a much heavier gun, gets a steel rail. Currently, the Remington has a steel rail on it as well, but it's a heavy sucker and will get replaced with a Seekins aluminum job.

Guy's fault. He gave me the link to Seekins' website.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index.p ... 2&Itemid=2

I wouldn't worry about recoil, you can have it bedded (glued down), then it's not all on the screws. One thing for sure, you can handle the recoil now, right, so why make it heavier to pack around? Go with aluminum rings too. Compare the rings, side by side. Nightforce, Seekins, and Badger, all make good aluminum rings.

I'm running the aluminum Weaver, Warne and EGW bases and they are all holding up fine on a 264, 7WSM and 338. I think when I rescope the Whelen it will get the same thing. Scotty

I use Warne Maxima steel bases and TDS (steel or aluminum) rings on all of my bolts action rifles.

Thanks guys! Yes, the 7RM's recoil is entirely managable. I'll make the switch to the rail sometime this winter. Don't want to mess with the Rem any more than I have to with hunting season approaching. I've got a wolf permit and enough 140BTs loaded to get er done... :wink:

Jim

BeeTee":c7exiqym said:
Thanks guys! Yes, the 7RM's recoil is entirely managable. I'll make the switch to the rail sometime this winter. Don't want to mess with the Rem any more than I have to with hunting season approaching. I've got a wolf permit and enough 140BTs loaded to get er done... :wink:

Jim
I am a welder and although I would go aluminum on a lightweight mountain rifle, for any magnum type caliber I like steel on steel and wish the scopes were steel.
Did I mention I like steel?

With an aluminum scope tube, there is no reason to use steel for rings. In fact I would rather have the coefficient of thermal expansion of rings and scope be the same to work the mounting screws less. I prefer steel mounts on a steel action ring for the same reason.

BeeTee":prbu1kil said:

Jim

If I have no problem with my 378, 416 and 30-378's your 7mm is not an issue.

FOTIS":1462pzft said:
If I have no problem with my 378, 416 and 30-378's your 7mm is not an issue.

Thanks for your advice. I've ordered two of the aluminum versions... One for my 7RM and another for my 223VS. Nice winter project... I'll post pics when the time comes. Jim

Back