Successful Elk Hunt

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Had the opportunity to hunt out of Oak Creek, Colorado for the first season limited Elk. Seven of us hunted on 3500 acres. I've yet to find any flat land on the property other than what is called an entry road, and that is only flat for small sections. Beautiful weather (20's in the morning and 50 - 60 around Midday.) Temperatures didn't bother the Elk at all. They were bugling their heads off. The seven hunters saw over 100 elk. My buddy had between 25-30 walk by him but he didn't get a shot at the bull although the bull walked within 50 yards of him. (It's called out of breath from crawling between the sage brush at 9100Ft.) I managed a 150 yard shot at a 3X4 after calling him for nearly an hour. Luckily where he dropped was only twenty five yards from an ATV trail. Rifle used was my .338 UltraMag with a 225 grain Sierra pro hunter. The shot was broadsidebehind the shoulder and the bullet went through and into a mountainside. Have already tried the tenderloins. (boy, were they bad). This Elk changed my mind about cows always tasting better. Five out of seven people ended up with elk. (all bulls, the largest being a 6X6.)

That sounds like a great hunt. Elk can be very fine--bulls or cows. Bummer about your partner being out of breath. It happens when you're introduced to higher altitudes. Any pictures?

BRM,

Congratulations on your bull. The mighty 338 RUM strikes again. :lol:

JD338

Man your getting my blood pumping! I can't wait till Nov. 6th!

Congrats on the bulls. Sounds like a pretty dang good hunt.

You guys did very well, Congrats

Those bulls can be a bit chewy and a little strong. Have to admit hard to take a cow over a bull I have not reached that maturity level. Have taken a calf over cows once, only because I knew just how hard it was going to be to get the cow out. Boy that calf was good eatin'.

Sounds like a GREAT hunt. Congrats on your elk. Sorry to hear the meat was so bad. :lol: My Colorado bull was as good as any cow elk I've eaten also.
Greg

Great job buddy! We need pictures!

BTW your 225 Sierra was a gameking. :wink:

Congratulations. Sure hope I get an elk this year. It's supposed to snow above 4200 feet here and there already is a skiff up high. I have high hopes for Saturday morning! :mrgreen:

That's an exceptional hunt, congratulations on your success.

Don

That is awesome. Congrats on your elk! You are a lucky man to be in elk country like that! Especially to get him near an ATV trail! Sounds like the mighty 338UM whaled another elk! Scotty

Thanks for the congrats guys. The hunt went perfectly. The weather was totally agreeable although midday temps were quite warm. This was probably the only hunt where my camera was left at camp instead of its normal place in my backpack. Due to temperture concerns as soon as possible after gutting the elk were taken to the processor. By the way, Brothers processing in Craig does excellent work. Their summer sausage is out of this world. Also, the day after we left, the area we hunted got buried by snow. (timing is everything). Pop, The bullets I was using were definitely 225 grain prohunters. I purchased them from Grafs which received an overrun from Sierra. I checked with Sierra and they had been made for another company that produces loaded ammunition. They are flat based and have excellent weight retention. I had shot an Elk previously with these bullets and weight retention was 84 percent. I can get 1 1/2 inch two hundred groups on a good day.

Congratulations on your elk, its always nice to get one in the freezer, it kind of justifies all of the that time we spend dreaming and scheming about them.

I have often said that if you shoot 100 cow elk 4 or 5 of them will be so old and tough that they will be a challenge to eat. If you shoot that many 1 and two year old bulls you will get 100 great peices of meat. I have shot two "older" cows in my life time and they were very tough, not bad flavor but very chewy. I have made it one of my many rules that I will pass on the lead cow if I have another opportunity. Always shoot the 5th or 6th one back. One other thought when hunting cows or does "never" shoot one standing alone on an open hillside. Sometimes you will get one that weighs 250 and 100 lbs respectively. Just another of those little tidbits that I have learned the hard way. nuff for me tonight!!

Elkman with the observation of that one that kind of stand out alone, I've noticed that in lot of species. Do you think they are like really ugly individuals, what is up with that. Maybe just bad attitude and thus shunned by the rest of the herd. LOL

Jim

Jim

Got me! but I have seen it many times, they could be animals from another group not intergrated into the group, or a calf or fawn that is seperated from their mother. Or the brave/stupid one that is a pathfinder and the risk taker out away from the others. But I do know of several cases where friends have shot that animal, and found a fawn or calf, when they though they were getting a full sized elk or deer.
If you live where you can shoot multiple animals its no big deal, but if its your only one for the year it can be a bummer.

Congratulations on your elk. I have learned that letting the meat sit covered in 50% Coke and ice water for 12 hours and then pounding it with a tenderizing hammer before seasoning and cooking it can turn a tough gammy piece of meat into an excellent piece of meat.

Back