Sugar on injured reserve

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
We had a good afternoon, good mix of quail, chukar and pheasants and lots of shooting. A lot of shooting. Late in the hunt a big rooster got up going left to right. Three guys empty their guns.One of the guys finally managed to wing tip the bird into a controlled crash 200 yards out in an alfalfa field. Sugar moved like a heat seeking missile across the field. The bird ran for it and when sugar closed, tried to fly but could only get six feet or so off the ground. Up and down they go, the hunters cheering until the impending collision with the metal wheels of an irrigation system was obvious. The bang was obvious but she had the bird.
We hunted to the truck, dropped the hunters at the lodge and called the vet. Yes they would wait. They know us well. Eight stitches come out in two weeks. No hunting for a few days. IMG_0725.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm, if she doesn't mind the new head gear maybe throw some padding under it for future hunts, protect her hearing and protect her head when she gets tunnel vision.

glad all will be ok and hopefully you get some rainy days while she is healing up so you don't miss the fields too much

She sure doesn't look too happy with the new head gear, I hope she heals OK. At least they did shoot her which some times happens with trigger happy hunters when a bird is injured and trying to fly off.

Apparently she sat at the back door howling when I left this morning.

That is a very enthusiastic pooch. Surely a grand example of dedication.

TD.
trigger happy customers scare the hell out of me. In the morning we always have a safety talk, general stuff but emphasizing the danger of low flying birds, particularly for the dogs. 1st time I'll slide over to the offender as we hunt along, coach him politely and everything is fine. A subsequent safety violation brings out my physcotic tendencies. Been told it's colorful but not pretty and far from politically correct.

salmon chaser

all the best to sugar, hope she heals fast and is back in the field very soon. She obviously did not like staying home. I have literally refused to hunt a second time with those who do not listen. Never had a dog shot but did have one beat up pretty bad by a crane one time before I could get to where I could help the dog. Definitely have never had one injured by an irrigation system, nobody would see that one coming.

How close do you and Guy live to each other ( Wash/Or ). I bet clark and sugar would enjoy hunting together

Isn't she a German Shorthair? I love hunting birds behind that breed...
I too have a "German girl"...well, actually from Pomerania!. She likes any bird that I am eating at the time! ha

cheyenne, how many caribou do you have to shot each week to feed that many dogs LOL

Europe. I have never hunted Cranes, how do they injure a dog ?

Salmonchaser, how long will your dog be out of action ? She obviously loves to retrieve for you. Nice looking dog

I actually hunted her this afternoon for a couple of hours, stitches in her ear held up. Molly has hunted the last five days, including this morning. She needed a brake. Sugar didn't like having her ear taped down but it worked.
She is a German shorthair, but very small framed. She only weighs 44 pounds.
Guy and I are probably separated by 3.5 hours. I'm certain my girls would like Clark and the puppy.
Maybe what we should do next fall is set up some wall tents on the breaks of the Columbia or snake rivers and host a Chukar hunt for our friends here.

Back