Suggestions for Building a Shooting Range

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hi Everyone, Hope you are all doing well. I need some advice. I would like to build a shooting range on my property and was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people had any suggestions. I want this area to be universal enough to cater to all types of shooters. My property is heavily wooded and very remote (closest neighbor is about 8 miles away). This will require some serious cutting for a decent size range. I have 2 individuals that will be helping me this summer that have the necessary equipment (dozer, etc.). I have found an area that is relatively flat for 600-700 yards but could make it longer if I needed to. This area is only a short walk/ATV ride from my cabin. I would like to build a small “shooting house” for working up loads and shooting in the cold weather. I don’t have “power” but I have some great generators. Hey, what about lights for night shooting??? :grin: I want to do this right so if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks Everyone,
Mike
p.s. This area is so remote I would love to see the expression of any hunter that comes upon it; a well groomed rifle range in the middle of nowhere! :shock:

NOTE: I am NOT a certified civil engineer or range designer, have never actually built a range, and do not work for the NRA. However, I have done some research on the subject of building ranges. The discussion below is in no way meant to discourage you from proceeding with your project. However, all issues below should be addressed (or at least reviewed) BEFORE beginning construction, as being forced to deal with them later gets VERY expensive.

Mike,

Before you start building, do a LOT of research first. Contact the NRA's Range Development Committee (starting by going to http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/index.asp ), and also order the NRA Range Source Book ( http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp - $50 for the printed version, or $20 for the CD ROM). The latter is an invaluable resource, and is the product of PROFESSIONAL designers of ranges.

You also need to check with your local and state planning boards, as clearing the land for a range and building a significant number of range structures generally isn't done without permits.

Another thing to be aware of is the status of the title to the land downrange - these days, the most prudent thing to do is to buy that land (whenever possible) to prevent your range from being encroached upon. Don't think for one minute that placing the impact berm at the far end of your property is the limit to how far you can shoot. Hit someone or something downrange, and your ability to shoot on your property may go away COMPLETELY. You NEED to control that land downrange to ensure you won't run into trouble in the future. How much land do you need? Assuming there isn't a large hill or mountain behind your targets (300 feet or taller), a 2-3 mile deep impact area is needed catch all bullets fired on your property, no matter what angle they're fired at. (For most bullets, maximum range occurs somewhere between 25-37 degrees of elevation above horizontal.)

Depending on Massachusetts environmental codes, you may also need to comply with special environmental restrictions. Another consideration is lead mobility - leaching of lead is a BIG issue with state and federal regulators. Under no circumstances should you put an impact berm in a bog or marsh (i.e., acidic water), as this is a surefire way to leach lead into groundwater.

You can use solar cells and batteries (or other alternative power sources) to power the outbuildings. There can be tax credits for doing so, so this may be worth researching.

Good info, thanks. The one nice thing about the area that I plan to construct this range is that the range would be facing a 700 foot (very steep) mountain (which I own). Again, thanks for the info. Mike

Hey Everyone, I noticed a good number of views but not much feedback. Come on guys, tell what your "Dream Range" would look like!
Mike

Mike Fontaine":3tyt3lr3 said:
Come on guys, tell what your "Dream Range" would look like!
1000 Yards minimum, with room to shoot to 2500. No benches, no facilities for shotgun shooting, and no plinkers allowed. Why?
  • Benches. I don't shoot from a bench, and therefore have no need for them. (It's my dream range, after all.) Seriously, I see benches as promoting way too many bad habits, and as an impediment to developing practical shooting skills. (When was the last time you saw a concrete shooting bench in the middle of the woods?) They also get in the way if you're trying to shoot from position. If you must build them on a range used by position shooters, benches must be moveable.
  • Shotguns. Oh they're fun. They're also highly effective at spreading shot all over the property, making lead cleanup a real nightmare. It's one thing to sift through a single impact berm, and quite another to sift through 20 acres+ worth of topsoil.
  • Plinkers. While most are good, the few undisciplined ones make life a real nightmare. Equipment and facilities on the range get shot up, either by accident, or deliberately. Poor muzzle and target discipline also results in wayward bullets, which are often a big reason why ranges get in trouble with their neighbors and the law. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should plinkers (ESPECIALLY unskilled ones) be allowed past 300 yards without qualified supervision. Why? Lack of familiarity with bullet drop and wind drift will result in wayward shots. Consider instituting a qualification program if you're going to open any firing lines past 300 yards to others. Only qualified shooters are allowed to shoot without supervision - or supervise others. If you want to invite plinkers, build them a seperate range, preferrably 200 yards or less.

"1000 Yards minimum, with room to shoot to 2500. No benches, no facilities for shotgun shooting, and no plinkers allowed. "

Agree with much of what Asa has said. Build it to 1000+ yards. Big interest among competition shooters in 1000 yard matches, both prone and bench. Also, make sure it's capable of hosting the traditional NRA "across the course" match with shooting from 200, 300 and 600 yards. Make sure that it's suitable for traditional "Palma" matches. This means it has to have targets & pits, and firing lines at 800, 900 and 1000 yards.

A covered firing line. Amazing how much more comfortable shooters are when they're not exposed to rain, snow and direct sunshine.

Your BR guys are going to want nice benches and target lines at 100, 200, 300 yards. LR BR is growing too - and they need access to the 600 - 1000 yard lines.

Wind flags. Plenty of 'em.

Possibly a metric silhouette range... Still some interest in that fascinating sport.

A clubhouse where classes can be taught, a well-ventilated indoor range for at least .22's, maybe centerfire handguns as well. Maybe even a firearms maintenance station and a "pro shop" where ammo & loading components and other shooting accessories can be purchased.

Square ranges for short-rifle, carbine & handgun work.

I'd keep the shotgun ranges as part of the range complex - as long as they don't interfere in the least with the rifle ranges.

Consider an indoor and an outdoor archery range.

With archers, handgunners, shotgunners, serious riflemen, hunters etc all joining up - you'll have a substantial membership. A fair chunk of rural land is needed for this. I'm thinking of something like the NRA Whittington Center, or the Sacramento Valley shooting complex. Think big.

Make sure that the range is protected from sprawling subdivisions & other development.

Regards, Guy

I guess I should have mentioned that this range is for my personal use only (and of course some friends). Mike

Thought we would finish the range by the end of fall but it was much more work than I thought. Many more trees to land but I'm determine to finish it this summer. Sticking with the goal of 600 yards too. Shooting at the local club is getting frustrating as mentioned in another post. Hey, maybe in a couple of years I can organize a shoot at my place :grin: Nosler Forum Members Only! Cabin can only hold 6 guys comfortably (30-40 uncomfortably).
Mike

Mike Fontaine":1m5j14jp said:
Thought we would finish the range by the end of fall but it was much more work than I thought. Many more trees to land but I'm determine to finish it this summer. Sticking with the goal of 600 yards too. Shooting at the local club is getting frustrating as mentioned in another post. Hey, maybe in a couple of years I can organize a shoot at my place :grin: Nosler Forum Members Only! Cabin can only hold 6 guys comfortably (30-40 uncomfortably).
Mike

Count me in! I'll even get there early to help set up and get the grill going!

JD338

My dream range would have pop-up prarrie dog targets out to about 1000 yards, and maybe a few live one's running around too.

Back