Suggestions for bullet stuck in bore?

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
I had one of those moments.

223 shooting a subsonic load. Used Hodgdon's formula with Trailboss. I got 55 grain
bullet with 6 grains Trailboss (their database now shows 4 grains with similar
bullets). Jacketed Remington bullets. I normally shoot cast for other calibers when
shooting reduced loads.

Anyway got some okay groups at 20 yards, but wayyyy low compared to standard
load until one didn't make it out of the bore.

Now what?

Get a cleaning rod, put a jag on it the diamter of the bore, and GENTLY push the bullet out of the bore.

I've pre-soaked a stuck bullet with a penetrating oil once. Not sure if it helped but I can't imagine it hurting. I used Kroil but any Liquid Wrench-type or light machine oil should help.

Just don't use a wooden dowel to force it out.

How did you figure out the bullet stopped in the bore?

i.e. I believe you likely pulled the trigger, and then had some indication the bullet did not exit the barrel? And then thought to yourself, "Self, I'd better not shoot another bullet until I get that one out of there".

"Self" There was no hole in the paper and no impact in the berm behind.

I will not use those loads anymore!

I tried with the penetrating oil overnight and taping with a brass cleaning rod. No go.
It is a break action and I can see the base of the bullet from the chamber end.

No wooden dowel?

The wooden dowel will split and it too will become stuck in the barrel. Especially if you try to push the bullet out towards the chamber from the muzzle.

Use a brass rod that is just under-bore or, as Dubyam stated, a cleaning rod with a jag inserted and use a gradual, measured increase in force to push the bullet out. You can try to wrap electrical tape around the cleaning rod every two inches or so until it is just under-bore size. This will provide some rigidity to the rod. You can use a dead blow hammer if you have a brass rod.

Jacketed bullets are hard to remove. A local gunsmith will surely have a kit to do same without worry or risk of damage.

pour about 6-8" of oil down the barrel, put a tight fitting patch on a jag, run it down to the oil, whack it with a mallet, the hydraulic pressure created should force the bullet out.
RR

Ridge_Runner":27emsx8u said:
pour about 6-8" of oil down the barrel, put a tight fitting patch on a jag, run it down to the oil, whack it with a mallet, the hydraulic pressure created should force the bullet out.
RR

I like this idea! :idea:

JD338

Thats gotta be a REALLY TIGHT patch :shock: CL Hope I never have to do that. Any of the above would make me nervous. Not saying it isnt good advice....just that I dont want to have to do it.

My dad used to have some long brass rods he used for brazing in his shop. One of those might to the trick if they are still available. He used them for stuck WB cases, he liked to load hot!!

Kroil down from the muzzle to lube bore and hopefully reduce friction at the bearing surface. Oak rods are readily available in most diameters. Place rod against base of bullet and tap with a hammer to inch the bullet out of the muzzle.

It worked for me.

Nobody else yelled it... so I will:

SQUIB!!!

OK... now I feel better... just an old IPSC/IDPA habit...

As for the bullet... don't know what to tell you there.... I always have a dowel in my pistol case for such an emergency (and I've needed it)... but on a rifle barrel... I don't know what I'd do.

Ok, this may sound a bit oddball, but if you have a chest type freezer you might chill the gun out for a couple of hours. I've found that when the rare occasion that I get a stuck case that doesn't come out easy with the puller, a few shots of penetrating oil given some time to soak in, then a cold soak in the freezer allows the case to come will a lot less effort. has to do with different levels of shrinkage. Just might work with that bullet.
Paul b.

id say go to lowes or home depot and get a oak dowel rod cut itto pieces about 6-8" long and start sticking them down the bore till you get to the slug and them tap with a mallet kinda like slugging a bore to get the size there clips on you tube.

or like other have said a old cleaning rod with a mallet

or if you can see it from the chamber see if a drywall screw can reach it and screw it in and pull it like a muzzleloader

Just finished. Brass rod, cut to length, cutting oil and dead blow hammer with gentle taps.

Back