Summer Project...

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
I've been neglecting these two, so it's time to give it a face lift. The 6MM Remington will be stock with Anchutz Silhouette Style Thumbhole stock in Black and Gray Laminate, whereas the 280 will be stock with Dual Grip Thumbhole style in Black Widow Laminate. This will be fun.

DSC01521.jpg

DSC01523.jpg

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01522.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

I do believe this will be a most fascinating project. You certainly have a couple of great chamberings. Handsome laminates, too.

3006":2ymyh21b said:
Looks like a fun project, where did you get the stocks? CW

They are Richards Microfit. They're local here in Southern California.

Can't wait to see them DF. I imagine they will be some awesome shooters when they are complete. Scotty

DF

Those are going to be beautiful! A fun project for sure. Keep us posted with your progress.

JD338

You're gonna love that dual grip thumbhole. I found I had to take down the comb a bit to clear the bolt throw on mine (K98 280 rem). Great ergonomics. Shot with a tactical instructor guy this weekend (former sniper, the real deal) and he was really impressed. Was thinking of trying one on a md 700 .308 he uses for training and see what kind of accuracy he gets. Very comfortable stock in the field. Nice to carry, quick to action and very stable shooting platform offhand.

Very nice DF! I currently have a wildcat thumbhole in electric blue on order from Richard's. It's been 7 weeks now so I hope it comes in soon. I have seen your finished stocks in other threads. My question is what kind of clear coat do you put on them? I was either gonna go with true oil or some clear coat in a can made specifically for wood. Your thoughts?

ScreaminEagle":5578s43b said:
Very nice DF! I currently have a wildcat thumbhole in electric blue on order from Richard's. It's been 7 weeks now so I hope it comes in soon. I have seen your finished stocks in other threads. My question is what kind of clear coat do you put on them? I was either gonna go with true oil or some clear coat in a can made specifically for wood. Your thoughts?

I use Minwax Helmsman Polyurethane spray.
http://www.epaintstore.com/Minwax-Helms ... Spray.html

Desert Fox":3n72mhoj said:
ScreaminEagle":3n72mhoj said:

Thanks that is the exact stuff I was looking at! Just one more question, do you use some type of sealer? Can't wait till you post pics of the completed stocks!

ScreaminEagle":2ytcj9lf said:
Desert Fox":2ytcj9lf said:
ScreaminEagle":2ytcj9lf said:

Thanks that is the exact stuff I was looking at! Just one more question, do you use some type of sealer? Can't wait till you post pics of the completed stocks!

Here is another product that is 1st rate also. Waterlox makes very high quality products. It is a little more expensive, but man, it is great stuff.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200420 ... Quart.aspx

do you use some type of sealer?

No I don't. Just apply several coat of polyurethane, (around 12 total) light sanding on every coat, and then buff the final finish with a very fine steel wool to remove the sheen.

Back