suplemental vitamins for your eyes

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I have seen alot of advertizing for them.
Have any of you used them and what are your thoughts.

I'm generally suspicious of self-medication. If you are eating a normal, balanced diet, you are likely getting all the vitamins and minerals you need for maintenance of the various bodily tissues. Excess water soluble vitamins (the several B vitamins, C, etc.) are excreted when the tissue reaches homeostasis (the normal state for those eating a balanced diet). Excess fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, etc.) are stored in various tissues of the body. During periods of rapid weight loss, these are released in a bolus which can be problematic for the body, or they can create problems of another nature.

During the second world war, immediately after the isolation of and initial studies on vitamin A, the Brits were focused on night bombing. They knew from biochemical studies that vitamin A was required for night vision. Hence, their airmen were fed a diet high in vitamin A. The pilots and bombardiers always had a carrot in their mouth. Ultimately, the Brits blinded some of their most experienced pilots because they developed hypervitaminosis. The vitamin A was stored in the cornea of the eye, causing an irreversible condition that effectively blinded these men.

If you are ingesting quantities of water soluble vitamins, they are excreted without lasting consequence, other than the potential for crystal formation in the kidneys if you fail to drink enough water. Fat soluble vitamins, however, are not readily excreted. Rather, they are stored. Unfortunately, if the supplements in quesiton are truly beneficial for your eyes, they will store in the eye tissues, and if you are ingesting massive quantities, there is potential for serious consequence. Ergo, I'm more negative than positive. Before taking any quantity of vitamins, it would be a good idea to discuss the need with your physician. Bear in mind that some supplements may interact with medications you may be taking.

Unfortunately many of these companies sell untested products. If the US FDA catches up with them, they drop the product and come up with another one. They never seem to have any peer-reviewed science showing the effectiveness of their stuff, and the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

jim

My mom is a vitamin pusher. I have always been a little leery about taking mas quantities ov them. My poor little brother had a kidney stone broke up at the ripe age of 20. :shock:
My mom finally admitted that she fed him too many vitamins.

But anyway, my eyes are starting to change and I don't like it much.
I'm turning 40 this year. I am worried about turning 50, wearing Mr Magoo glasses and still not seeing anything

Don't be afraid of growing older. I hunt by braille. Just remember, if you can feel teeth, go to the other end before you shoot.

HunterJim":2h4z7bak said:
the plural of anecdote is not data. ;)

I don't know who originated that, but it was good enough to steal.

I am sneaking up on 70 now and wear glasses, but you can work with a shooting optometrist and keep on hunting...jim

Back