Swapped Whelens

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I’ll try to keep this as short as possible but when Dan posted up he’d gotten a Whelen I’d offered up some bullets for him to test out his new rifle. Somehow we exchanged numbers and thru texting and eventually a phone call we’d came to decision to meet up and look over each other’s Whelens to see if we wanted to swap, well, we met today and had a good talk about guns, the Marine Corps and hunting. By the end of the talk Dan decided to take my old M700 CDL home with him and I took his Ruger with me.

Got it home and it’s a pretty darned nice rifle and just about what I was planning on building myself so I’m beyond excited about it. Had an old 6x42 Leupold that wasn’t on a rifle so I put it on the old warhorse.

Anyhow, Dan (WVBuckBuster) is one heckuva great guy fellas, polite as they come and just another great fella I was glad to shake hands with.

I took a chance with the scope coming off another rifle that’d it’d be on paper and luckily enough it was. I used the load I run in my 7600 35 Whelen with Hornady cases, CCI200, 225 Sierra GKs and 58 grains of H4895.

First three were a bit to the left and I made some adjustments and shot the next three on point. Pretty darned happy with it so far!

Attachments

• 299C41C3-F778-40F8-9162-B9C05CA4942E.jpeg
    299C41C3-F778-40F8-9162-B9C05CA4942E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 671
  • 18BC8A3A-095C-428B-BDF5-583984A9F88A.jpeg
    18BC8A3A-095C-428B-BDF5-583984A9F88A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 671
  • 9422793B-B726-475F-843A-B27CCE1E9196.jpeg
    9422793B-B726-475F-843A-B27CCE1E9196.jpeg
    998 KB · Views: 671
That's impressive Scotty! I love me the Ruger Model 77's. Excellent rifles for sure as are the members on this site!!

Scotty & WVBuckBuster,
Congratulations to the both of you. Sounds like a Win/Win for you guys. Once a Whelen fan always a Whelen fan.
Scotty,
Looks like the Ruger is ready to hunt.

JD338

Good to see that each of you came out with a smile. That's the way it should be.

DrMike":3cjoe2mt said:
Good to see that each of you came out with a smile. That's the way it should be.

For sure Mike. Waiting for Dan to break his rifle out. It was a little tough parting with it since I had a bunch of miles carrying it in the field but I think he will enjoy it more than I being a Big Green Remington fella.

Those old tang safety 77s are the best looking and handling of all the 77s.
Mine is a 30-06 and was the first new bolt action rifle I ever bought.
Scotty what rifle did you put the scope on I traded with you for the B&C stock?

SJB358":2c92csg4 said:
DrMike":2c92csg4 said:

For sure Mike. Waiting for Dan to break his rifle out. It was a little tough parting with it since I had a bunch of miles carrying it in the field but I think he will enjoy it more than I being a Big Green Remington fella.
Scotty it was my pleasure to meet you and a good visit. Thanks for quick replies and the offer of bullets as well. I hope you get lots of good trigger time with it. Looking forward to poking some deer with your Remington. Thanks again, Dan.

truck driver":2rr3vqf7 said:
Those old tang safety 77s are the best looking and handling of all the 77s.
Mine is a 30-06 and was the first new bolt action rifle I ever bought.
Scotty what rifle did you put the scope on I traded with you for the B&C stock?

My Model 7600 280 Remington. Seems to work well on that rifle.

wvbuckbuster":2rr3vqf7 said:
SJB358":2rr3vqf7 said:
DrMike":2rr3vqf7 said:

Scotty it was my pleasure to meet you and a good visit. Thanks for quick replies and the offer of bullets as well. I hope you get lots of good trigger time with it. Looking forward to poking some deer with your Remington. Thanks again, Dan.

Same to you Dan. Looking forward to seeing it getting out and into the fresh air again.

Shot at 25 yards , right :p :lol: ???!! Totally kidding.... Sheesh, some guys get all the luck! Cool that you could get together. Sounds like you are both pretty happy with the swap. Cool! CL

PS - the way my luck runs it would have taken a box and a half of shells to get a scope zeroed...all the luck... Have fun!

Congratulations you guys! Great when things work out for everyone! Happy shooting, gentlemen.
V/R,
Joe

I am so glad for both of you, the crew on this site are just a real good group of people (y).
Man I have never seen a Whelen that doesn't shoot lights out :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back