SWFA for a 375 H&H?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Another conundrum for the resident anal overthinker......yours truly.

I was talking with JD338 about this. I finally re-barreled my Rem 700 375 and restocked it. The Tupperware stock and the factory stock did not do it any favors.

Anyway this is what she looks like now.

fHjuA3V.jpg

7VF7wzX.jpg

After its surgery I mounted a Zeiss 4x16x44 V4 for load work up. Well you know my tinkering disease! Had to try something out of whack-load wise.
Never used it before, but I did some calculations and Lever-evolution powder was commissioned for the experiment.

This is where I stopped.

1KQX88Y.jpg

Who would have thunk it? LOL.

Now what I have on hand scope wise is the Zeiss, a SWFA 3-15x42mm, a weaver 1-3, and a few Nikons 3x9. Seeing as this load will deliver over 2100 fps and 2450 fpe at 500 yards, how "out of place" would the SWFA look or be on it? I figure 3X is ok for timber and the rest cover the longer range just fine.

Oh I forgot... I do have a 2.5x10 NF NXS that I can strip off another rifle.....

What say you?

Last edited:
Nice shooting.
It depends on the planed use, long range or up close and personal use. I don't dial I set and leave it. With that said I put a 3-10 Meopta on my 338 win mag, great dark woods glass and can penetrate into the trees. Set with a 400yd zero I could hold on hair and be sure it would hit the intended target.

She's a real beauty Fotis.
I think the NF 2.5-10 NXS would be perfect for a 375 H&H Mag. I have a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm with the Fire Dot and have no problem shooting .5 MOA at 400 yards with my setup.

JD338

The Nightforce would be my choice also. Sometimes big robust scopes aren’t what they’re cracked up to be. My 375 made its Arken poop itself.
Those 250gr Barnes are a favorite in my 375 also.

I will say that the NF's 3.3" of eye relief on 10x doesn't sound too fun to me with a 375... Maybe that makes me a naysayer. SWFAs have a good reputation of reliability and your model has a much more generous eye relief than the NF.

Hmmm. Never thought about eye relief.
Eye relief is one of those things that introduces itself to a conversation after one shot.. ;)

NF has a great reputation, as does SWFA. My only SWFA is a fixed 6x and I'd trust it on any rifle I own, including my 375. But it is a big heavy doggone thing. Don't have a NF, but have always admired them.

BTW, your rifle looks GREAT! :) Kinda wish I had one of those 375 H&H Remington 700's.

Best of luck to ya, and wow! You've got another great shooting rifle. Good work at the loading bench and at the shooting bench...

Guy

Back