Target Rifle

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today I came across a brand new Ruger Precision Rifle marked at $949. Wow! That's an excellent price on a rifle that has already proven to be quite accurate & reliable.

http://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/models.html

I've got a couple of thousand dollars invested in my precision rifle, a Rem 700 with a McMillan stock and a Krieger barrel - and from what I've seen, the Ruger shoots just as well, right out of the box...

No, it's not the perfect hunting rifle. Rather heavy & long, but it would work fine as a long-range rifle. To me, it's an easy, and good, way to get into the long-range precision shooting game at a modest price.

FWIW, Guy

very good deal, I figure it would be a good rifle for a parent with a few kids that hunts out of a stand. adjustable stock, so no need for a few rifles to grow in/out of just one high end rifle that can be shared

Guy,
6.5 or 308?
In 308 your already set up for reloading but I think your 700 does everything you could want or ask for. If it's in 6.5,I'd grab it. The 6.5 is a lot of fun and easy to load for. I won a 100$ bet with mine last week :) when I hit 12" steel target cold bore 1 shot at 895yards. My brother kicks my butt when we shoot hoops but I reciprocate when the rifles come out! I'm pretty sure the RPR is a pleasure to shoot between it's weight and brake. My Creed let's me watch the impacts with my scope on 20power and it weighs what the RPR does.

Scott

This one is a .243, which was offered last year.

Ya, if I do anything, I'll just re-barrel my Rem 700. It's all set up for me. I was just really impressed with the Ruger, for such a modest price!

Guy

I sent this post to my son back in November, he order a rifle yesterday in 6.5 CM. He thought about re barreling his older 243 Remington 700, but decided to keep it as is. He has taken a lot of deer with that little rifle. He has been wanting a long range target rifle for sometime, this should do the trick.

That is an excellent price.
Ruger is doing some interesting stuff lately.
Some friends and I happened to notice the brought out the Ruger American Predator in 6 Creedmoor recently. That intrigued me a little.

Back