Teddy Roosevelt on Hunting

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is an excerpt from a Teddy Roosevelt book "Hunting the Grisly and other Sketches". I thought is was a nice summation of different types of hunting and how they were looked at a 100+ years ago.

"I have met plenty of men accustomed to killing wild turkeys and deer with small bore rifles in the Southern Forests who, when they got onto the plains and in the Rockies, were absolutely helpless. They not only failed to become proficient in the art of killing Big Game at long ranges with the large bore rifle, at the cost of fatiguing tramps, but they had a positive distaste for the sport and would never allow that it equaled their own stealthy hunts in the Southern Forests. So I know plenty of men, experts with a shotgun, who honestly prefer shooting quail in the East over well trained setters or pointers, to the hardier, manlier sports of the Wilderness."

Kinda neat to see what he wrote back then. Seems like to me, he is saying, lots of folks really hold dearly, their type of hunting and scorn others for their type of hunting, ie long range hunting vs dog hunting and so on.

Anyhow, thought you all might want to read that. I have a few of his books on hunting, ranching and just rambling about while out in the Badlands. Great books. I really like the older books written by TR. Heck, in his day the 30-30 was a high speed death dealer to antelope! Scotty

Long range to TR without modern scoped rifles wouldn't qualify as long range today. He was correct about the differences in hunting. I well recall the comment a fellow made when he accompanied me for moose in the interior of BC. He was used to hunting moose and deer in another province farther east. Twice, he busted moose coming into a setup because he couldn't tolerate either the extended hike or the wait. Finally, after a third bust, he exclaimed, "I don't like this. It is not like [name of his former provincial residence} where we drove out to a farm and killed and deer and came home for breakfast. It just didn't compute that he might work for game here.

DrMike":2lkxroqm said:
Long range to TR without modern scoped rifles wouldn't qualify as long range today. He was correct about the differences in hunting. I well recall the comment a fellow made when he accompanied me for moose in the interior of BC. He was used to hunting moose and deer in another province farther east. Twice, he busted moose coming into a setup because he couldn't tolerate either the extended hike or the wait. Finally, after a third bust, he exclaimed, "I don't like this. It is not like [name of his former provincial residence} where we drove out to a farm and killed and deer and came home for breakfast. It just didn't compute that he might work for game here.

I agree on the scoped rifle/LR deal. I just see it is as TR saw that adaptation allowing Western Hunters to hit game at further ranges to some extent. Just like LR hunters today, at least the ones I have spoken with have adapted to hunt at even further ranges because of better equipment and knowledge. It was funny to see someone point out the same "things" in the 1870's as others are pointing out in the 2011's!

I have been out with the same kinda of hunters. Lots of folks would rather sway in a tree stand than climb the side of a mountain to glass. Just two entirely different methods suited to different geography. Scotty

Lots of folks would rather sway in a tree stand than climb the side of a mountain to glass. Just two entirely different methods suited to different geography.

+1

It's all hunting. We adapt to what is necessary for the conditions with which we are presented. Some people condemn hound hunters, never having used hounds to bay a bear or a lion. Some people condemn baiting, never pausing to think of the necessity in thickly forested regions. We need to recognise the legitimacy of each method that allows the hunter to take game cleanly and ethically, encouraging the continuation of the sport that is so dear to our hearts.

I like reading stuff from T. Roosevelt on hunting. Great stuff there Scotty. As I understand it, "Teddy" was one of the first, if not the first, to take a .30-06 sporter to Africa. His was built on a Springfield action. It did very well for him.

As I recall, some of Teddy Roosevelt's hunting guns, gear and trophies are on display in the firearms museum, Cody Wyoming. Could be mistaken on that.

About hunting different places and ways - yes - there is considerable variety and I try to understand the different methods. Am grateful that I got to experience some hunting & fishing in Virginia and Maryland while I was stationed in Washington D.C. I particularly enjoyed still hunting through the fall woods with a .22 in hand, for squirrels. That was pretty good stuff. Also hunting the eastern shore of Maryland for geese. Wow... I don't know what the numbers there are like now, but it was quite a hunt in the early/mid 1980's.

Deer hunting a farm is tremendously different than packing into the high country to go after a wilderness buck... One isn't necessarily better, just different. Someday I'm going to have to find a farm where I can sit on the porch and shoot deer as they graze on alfalfa... But not yet! :grin:

I deplore "slob hunters" all around, no matter the geographical location.

Guy

I have three or four of his hunting/wilderness books Guy. If you would like the names of them to buy or just borrow mine, let me know, I have no problem mailing them out to you.

You are right about being able to hunt different AO's around the states. I grew up in between the Adirondacks and Catskill Mtns. I was always running around in some type of woods. Later, I hunted Canada (Quebec) for black bear then BC for Moose and Caribou. After that Idaho for elk, deer and bear. Then, while stationed in Camp Pendleton, I hunted the muleys up in Case Springs and the other hilly areas. I also hunted in Camp Lejeune in the thick pine forests, and now in Northern Va, which is pretty similar to Upstate NY actually.

I have had the privilege to hunt with Brians Hunting Club and those guys are 1st rate. Awesome guys that love their hounds. It is actually pretty fun to watch the dogs on the deer. All around I have been lucky to see many more good hunters than slobs.

You are right about the Farm hunt for WT deer and the MTN hunt for Muleys. Couldn't be more different, but really, an adaptive hunter will figure it out pretty quick I believe. It really makes you learn to love quality optics when you are sitting on the side of a mtn for hours with bino's stuck to your face! Scotty

Scotty,

Excellent! I am a big fan of Teddy Roosevelt. I had the opportunity to shoot his "Big Medecine" this past January, a replica Winchester M1895 in .405 Win. I was really impressed with the .405 Win!

JD338

Keen observations Scotty. Much of TR's writings were extremely prescient. His commentary on the politics of his day are equally valid in the 21st century.

I have his "African Game Trails" book on top of my safe that I've never read.
Big fan of TR - He spent a lot of time where I grew up & still has one of the largest
Mtn Lions taken. Used to be #3 - not sure where it stands now.

Anyway, they named a room after him @ the Meeker Hotel where he used to stay when he came to CO hunting. Anyone makes it to that part of the state, the Meeker Hotel has some unreal mounts on the wall.
http://www.themeekerhotel.com/

I read two of Edmund Morris Book about Teddy Roosevelt, one The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt in paper back and the Theodore Rex in hard bound. Both an excellent read. The man is amazing.

Scott Spencer":1fxg2jr2 said:
I'm currently reading "The Wilderness Hunter" from 1905 and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Me too Scott! They are great books. I am reading about hunting the "White Goat" right now.

DF- you are right about that. I am sure he has some skeletons, but what an American TR was. Just a guy that I can really read about and like a bunch. Besides being a great outdoorsman, I believe he was a pretty darned good leader as well. Wasn't scared to get dirty. I believe he would have shot PT's had they been around back then. :lol: Scotty

Back