Tell me about these scopes

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Kinda been looking at scopes for my 22BR I picked up and kinda got it narrowed down a bit.

VX-6 3-18 Custom shop M1 turrets

Zeiss HD5 5-25X50 with LTT and varmint reticle

Trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot

Swarovarski Z5 5-25 W4 BT

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 with MOAR and Zero Stop

Tell me pros and cons of each planning on spending about $1500 +- $500 feel free to mention any others I might have missed. Going on a Picitinney rail.

Jake,
I only two of the manufactures you have on the list so I can't tell you much about the any of them really. But I will tell you for the money I think you get a whole lot of scope with a Vortex like Fotis bought. I have one of the new Diamond Back HDs and the warranty on these equals or exceeds the Leupold.

Any of those listed are fine scopes that you would be proud to own, Jake.

nvbroncrider":2s2ljyss said:
Kinda been looking at scopes for my 22BR I picked up and kinda got it narrowed down a bit.

Trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot

Tell me pros and cons of each planning on spending about $1500 +- $500 feel free to mention any others I might have missed. Going on a Picitinney rail.
Wow that's quite a selection to choose from Jake! Not sure I can help you on this one. I don't think any on your list would be bad though.

I have the Zeiss HD5 in the 3-15x42 format. It is a very clear, high contrast scope with really capable optics. I think that it is the best buy in this group, price wise.

I have the HD5 5 - 25 X 50.
Best glass I've ever had. Very clear, repeatable, great value for the money.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The only down side to the Zeiss 5x25 is the size of the crosshairs. They are 2-3 times thicker than a Leupold or Nightforce. They remind me of the low end Leupold Rifleman 3x9's and they might even be thicker than that.

I'm looking kinda narrowed it down to the Zeiss or the Nightforce. I really like the MOAR reticle but the value on the Zeiss might be too good to pass up.

nvbroncrider":2rnnapz7 said:

Trijicon 5-20X50 mil dot

Here's my opinions:

VX-6: Don't own this scope, but have spent quite a bit of time looking thru a couple. May be one of the easiest scopes to get behind that I've seen. Very forgiving eye box. Glass is on par with the Zeiss HD5. Only thing I didn't like was the Leupold reticle choices for what I was doing, and the lack of hydrophobic coating.

Zeiss HD5: Great scope. Had the Conquest 6.5-20 (previous model to the HD5) with the Varmint Z reticle and had great luck with it. The HD5 is even better. If the Varmint reticle you're thinking about is the "Varmint Z" it's great for varmints or target work. Very fine cross-hairs for precise shot placement, but will get lost fairly rapidly when it starts to get dark. (The Rapid Z 600 or 800 reticles are just the opposite -- in my opinion too thick for target work.) Has a hydrophobic coating, which is a huge plus for me. If you need warranty work done, can be slow.

Trijicon: No opinion -- have never looked thru one.

Swarovski: Limited time behind one. Probably the best glass of the group. Reticle choices are very personal, and I liked their ballistic reticles the least of the scopes I was considering. They also lacked a hydrophobic coating.

Nightforce: Big and heavy -- OK for a varmint or benchrest rig, but not what I wanted for an all-purpose rifle. Love the reticle and turrets, but the glass quality of the NXS line was inconsistent among the ones I've looked thru (some better than the Zeiss I had and some not nearly as good). From what I've read, I think the glass quality is a lot more consistent now, and probably very good. A lot of benchrest guys swear by these. If you twist turrets a lot, the Nightforce is tough to beat -- repeatable and bulletproof. (Which is probably why the benchrest guys love them.)

IdahoCTD":3my5pthu said:
The only down side to the Zeiss 5x25 is the size of the crosshairs. They are 2-3 times thicker than a Leupold or Nightforce. They remind me of the low end Leupold Rifleman 3x9's and they might even be thicker than that.

Is it Zeiss' "Varmint Z" reticle you're talking about? I'd echo your observation for the Rapid Z600 or 800, but found the Varmint Z almost perfect for target work. I originally bought a Zeiss with the Rapid Z800 and found it way too thick for long range squirrels and target work. Sent it back and replaced it with a Varmint Z reticle which I felt was perfect.

I have the standard duplex reticle. I think it is a #20. I personally don't like the clutter of busy reticles. I dial for distance so they do me no good.

Well I'm done picked up a HD5 5-25 varmint with LTT NIB for $800 off the fire I couldn't pass it up! I almost feel guilty.

nvbroncrider":1cc5q1t9 said:
Well I'm done picked up a HD5 5-25 varmint with LTT NIB for $800 off the fire I couldn't pass it up! I almost feel guilty.
From an avowed Zeiss fan I think you made an excellent choice.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have not used all the ones on your list but I have some. I would take the Nightforce in a heartbeat. I have 2 on 50bmg rifles and they are just plain fantastic.

I have used the VX-6 and Leuys are my favourite. However my latest is a Zeiss that I am placing ontop of my 35Whelen. The one you did not mention is a Leica and they are nothing to sneeze at as well :wink:.
My nephew now has 3 Zeiss and he advised that he would never change he just picked up his last one which is the HD5.
Glad to see that you picked quality glass as I believe top glass is as important or my more than your rifle (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, Which Ziess did you put on the Whelen? I will probably move my 4-16X44MC over on the 35 Imp when I get it back from JES.

EuroOptic is still selling the Leica ER 2.5-10x42 scopes for $800-$1100. I have one of them and they are the best thing going for the money. I am comparing them to the (5) Zeiss scopes which I own.

I require high dollar binocs, but a scope to me is nothing more than a rear sight, I put the X on the target and pull the trigger, no need to count the fleas on what I shoot...My choice on a varmint rifle is a 3x9 or 4x12 vari-x11 Leupold, and used if I can find one..The guarantee is still good..These scopes have never let me down, and I use the hard.

Back