Temp and Velocity

I keep looking at Ebay for good prices on blade micrometers....and keep getting out bid! I am just getting started reloading and am very interested in excessive pressure signs. The results I mentioned in my earlier post were from my 1st shot at working up a load. A very helpful person, whom I met here on this forum, sent me some cases with some real flat primers (for comparison to my fired rounds). There are some real good and helpful folks on this forum....

Well i couldnt help but going out and buying anouther can of IMR 7828 and my guess is that someone messed with the powder..... i loaded a few 80grn and a few 84grn and shot them a half hour ago and got normal velocities being 84grn = 3200ft/sec on a 3 shot average. and 2995 on the 80grn charge....... bad powderwith the other loads...........?????? your guess is as good as mine...

As for the cases and primers on the other shots, no problems at all, the spent primers look brand new and no problem loading a spent case, and all the measurements are within range of my reloading manuals.....

As for the accuarce of the "hot" loads fantastic. Im shooting a weatherby ultra light wieght (1999) and the 3500ft/sec rounds were all touching each other on a 3 shoot group at 100yds........

For those other 300bee fans out there what powders does your gun like?????

Just a FYI here. Were are you measuring the case expantion? Sounds like you are looking at the total leanth of the case. If you are that is not what you measure. You need to mick the case on the Belt to get the expantion. Should not be more that .0005 on once fired case. You will need a blade mick for this.
3500 FPS is way to hot, back off to 3250. Stay around Weatherby FPS. Hornady tested there loads and found they were at 65,000+ PSI. That is at the white hot side. Be safe and have fun.
:lol:

Sounds like your new lot of powder is "on track". I absolutely cannot believe you hit 3500 with 180s and didn't "lock up a bolt". That is hugely high pressure. Quickllod program is predicting that you would have had to have the equal of about 91 grains of 7828 to make 3500 fps and that would be running nearly 90,000 psi.

If your brass looks good and primer pockets are still snug....I have to say there was something funky going on with the chrono readings. It baffles me that 2 chrono's were involved but I just can't come to any other conclusion after loading tons of 300 wby over the years.

I'd be tempted to load down the old lot of powder (I think you said about 80 grains was doing 3200 fps??) and chrono against the new lot.

Back