TGR and 2012 Chamberings

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents,

I gots me the urge for a lightweight "mountain" rifle. For some reason I want this thing in a 6.5mm of some sort, and I sent an email to Shawn yesterday to ask if Nosler had any notion of chambering the TGR in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Shawn sent along a digital copy of the 2012 Nosler Rifle Catalog, and almost had myself talked into a 6.5 x 284 in the TGR. But I would prefer a short action. I mean, if you were going to cycle a long action, why would anyone pick anything other than the 30-06?

You'll also note my ambivalence to the 6.5x55. I think this is solidly rooted in the name. I mean, who wants to carry a "Swede"? George: "What are you shootin', Sam?" Sam: "Oh, I've got the ole' Swede along today".

Now, the Creedmoor, that's a cool name. And also happens to be, I believe, the 260 Rem done right.

2012 chamberings for the TGR:
243 Win
257 Roberts +P
25-06 Rem
6.5x55 Swede
6.5-284 Norma
270 Win
270 WSM
7mm-08 Rem
7x57mm Mauser
280 Ackley Imp
7mm Rem Mag
308 Win
30-06 Spg
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
325 WSM
338 Win Mag
35 Whelen

And, the Model 48 Pro rifle also comes in a 260 Rem. But it's black on black only?

I'm holding out for 2013 for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Probably. Unless I pull the trigger on the 6.5x284 first. Maybe. No, really, I'm holding out.

That's a pretty good lineup of cartridges offered in the TGR. Expanding it more runs the risk of diluting the product. Ultimately, a company can offer so many cartridges that they lose perspective. You could do worse than the 6.5-284. Personally, my next build may be a 284 (or an 8X68S, or ...). In the interim, I'll refocus (eventually) on my Creedmoor and on my .260 Remington, either of which should shoot far better than they do at this point.

Joel, I think you could do WAY worse than the 6.5 Swede. I realize it doesn't have the cool name, but it is a very efficient cartridge and works far better in modern handloads. I would think you would nip closely on the 270 Win's ballistics with less powder and excellent bullets. It is a sleeper when loaded to modern pressure standards.

I like where your heads at though. A lightweight 6.5 would be a nice rifle for carrying.. I like the 6.5's a bunch. Alot of ballistics for low recoil and powder consumption.

And the M48 Custom does come in a 6.25 lb, 260 Rem, short action. One piece bolt and knob, hand laid stock, custom action, cerakoted stainless Pac Nor barrel, all backed by Nosler's reputation...

Hey Shawn, can I pay for one over, say 20 months? We could call it the "M48 Custom for Guys With Preschoolers Payment Plan"!

I am actually drooling over another TGR but in 30-06 this time, it is an old friend for many years and I still have and itch for it in a fine rifle for the money or a 35 Whelen and the M48 TGR is a fine rifle.

How does your first one shoot with handloads? I know what the guarantee says, but I would expect better with handloads.

joelkdouglas":3s5ngsiv said:
How does your first one shoot with handloads? I know what the guarantee says, but I would expect better with handloads.

I have other targets just like these and some better but these will give you the idea how my M48TGR 7mm-08 shoots.

Break in
First target is 15 shot group of 120gr BT where I shot one round then clean for 15 rounds and after a few rounds you can see it starting to settle in.
762359da.jpg

Second target is 12 shot group of 150gr BT where I shoot three rounds then clean and it was looking good also.
33df291e.jpg

Third target is two five shot groups with 130gr M/K HP where I shoot five then clean then adjust the scope 1/4" and shoot the next five without a fouling round. The five shot group to the right was the first five shot group and the second five group is the one on the left.
1b6976ef.jpg

After breakin
Worst three group with my 140gr AccuBond
3f0a7781.jpg

Best three shot group 140gr AccuBond
20928998.jpg

Nine shot group 140gr AccuBond
2a9ba88e.jpg

ten shot group 140gr AccuBond
f64ac6d5.jpg

Three shot group
7cd1f49b.jpg