TGR Range Day

db102550

Beginner
Jul 27, 2011
In the other post a couple people asked for pics of targets so here they are. The load data is included in the pic. The 06' is shooting better with each successive range trip. I've put about 100 rounds down the tube so far. I followed the recommedned barrel break in for the first 30 rounds or so and then after each 20 rounds or so. There has been about 30 rounds since the last cleaning and it keeps producimg better group each time out. I think also the cooler weather has helped because before it was two touching and the third an inch out. The 257 was shot on a very clean bore and took a couple of shot to get settled in. The 3,4,5 group is pretty typical of this rifle with both the 110 grain factory rounds and hand load using the 75 grain V Max. The 257 has about 200 rounds down the tube now but has shot spot on from the get go. Don

Attachments

• P9119145.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 2,785
  • P9119147.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 2,785
Don,

Those are a couple of exceptional rifles. Don't discount the rifleman. It is a system, and you've put it together nicely. Congratulations.

db102550":1wqfl5ub said:
In the other post a couple people asked for pics of targets so here they are. The load data is included in the pic. The 06' is shooting better with each successive range trip. I've put about 100 rounds down the tube so far. I followed the recommedned barrel break in for the first 30 rounds or so and then after each 20 rounds or so. There has been about 30 rounds since the last cleaning and it keeps producimg better group each time out. I think also the cooler weather has helped because before it was two touching and the third an inch out. The 257 was shot on a very clean bore and took a couple of shot to get settled in. The 3,4,5 group is pretty typical of this rifle with both the 110 grain factory rounds and hand load using the 75 grain V Max. The 257 has about 200 rounds down the tube now but has shot spot on from the get go. Don

30-06 no matter what barrel or rifle it is in will take more work than almost any other cartridge to get it right. I have some ideas but after owning nine different 30-06's in my life, 2 Rugers, Remington, Winchester, Sako, Savage, Browning and two customs (one with a Shilen and the other with a Douglas) I am here to tell you they took more work to get load and rifle shooting like I wanted them to, and in some rifles much more than others.

I am really turned on by this rifle. All the targets I shot today using 140gr AccuBond, 130gr Speer and 145gr Speer were all under an inch, also using these powders today, W760, Rl-17, H414, Bl-C2. I got 3077fps with the 130gr bullets using RL-17 and 2928fps using the 145gr Speer and RL-17 but accuracy was barely under an inch and extreme spread and deviation was unacceptable. All in all a very good day with lots more fun to be had with load work, but since I am so hard pressed for time, the 140gr AccuBond will be used this season for my hunting.

I still have other bullets and powders that will be tested during the winter months from the end of January to May. The rifle shoots anything I put in it so this rifle will also let me be very picky about what loads I will accept.

db102550

Very nice! That twain of TRG's in American Classic chamberings are shooters.

JD338

Back