The 250 Savage at the range- Cloverleaf! Well almost..UPDATE

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Well who ever heard of a five leaf clover anyway....

Center diamond is three rounds of Remington Core Lokt just to get my Reflexes settled down and foul the bore. They can do better. Point of aim, the green dot. Lower right is a four shot group of 100 gr BT's over 35gr of IMR 4064. point of aim was the top of the diamond. Again, I have done better, but this load seems to group better in colder weather.

Lower left is my all time most accurate load. Sorry Nosler, 75 Gr V-max's over 40 gr. of IMR 4350 shoots to point of aim all day long. Those high and low shots were all me. Happy with this target overall. "Aggie"'s still got it, and the old man can still get it done. CL

My cousin has a Savage 99A in 250 Savage that had seen some hard treatment over it's life. With factory Rem. 100 gr it shot about 8 inch groups at 100 yards. It had been carried a good deal with the muzzle down on the dirty carpet of a truck and it had ground the crown away. I took it and used a brass round head bolt chucked in a drill with some valve grinding compound and recrowned the muzzle. I worked up a load using Hornady cases, CCI 200 primer, Hornady 100 gr bullets and a max load of 40.5 H4350 is where it wanted to shoot and would shoot well under one inch groups. He has killed more deer with this rifle than many will see in their life time.

That's the beauty of the ol' 250 Savage...it is just plain fun to shoot!
Glad to see you still having fun with yours!

lhsako":2cnc2411 said:
What model rifle?

"Aggie" (short for aggravation) is an FN 300 commercial Mauser long action with a barrel of unknown pedigree, 1:10 twist. glassed and pillared at the rear. Unique, hand done walnut stock.

CL

Nice, you have any hunts planned for your old friend? The 250 Savage would be absolutely perfect where I hunt blacktails, my choice of a 260 Rem is awfully close to the good old 250 in performance.

Well, been lucky this fall in that I have been able to get to the range a couple of times, and shot acceptably well. In my post above you will see a group referenced in lower right of the photo. 100 Gr. BT's over 35 Gr. of IMR 4064. I noted then that this load seems to shoot better in the cold. Below you will see a five shot group from the same box, shot a couple weeks later and at 40 degrees, rather than the mid 70's.

If I could get my reflexes to stop pushing the rifle in anticipation of the recoil, I'd do OK. The first shot was low, the last one, I knew I was on a roll and my "head" got the better of me. Shot high.

I have repeated this "tighter group-in colder weather" thing several times w/ this load. Not a problem, per se, it would be my go to load for late November deer, west river.... but seems like a lot of fluctuation. Is that typical w/ IMR 4064?

PS- in a 250 Savage, RP case and CCI 200 primer- anybody want to guess what Velocity might be? Thanks CL

BTW- not quite a "cloverleaf" in my book, but still satisfied. :grin:

Who know what your velocity could be. I looked up your load in 3 different manuals and from what I found you are about 2 grs over max to just above a starting load depending on the manual. Crazy! Depending on the manual your load could be from 2700 to 3000 fps. CRAZY! Get your flinch under control and they will be closer together. LOL

Thanks 1 Shot. That load comes directly from an old speer manual and was a Middle of the pack load. I know what you mean- crazy! CL

Group looks pretty darned good.

Will you be able to hunt with your rifle this season?

Guy

I have used my 250 Savage reamer to build (3) rifles.
I shot a deer with the Rem700 on Oct 24, 2020.

I used Nosler 100 gr NBT bullets on the first two Savages, but in the Rem I was using 115 gr NBT when I shot the deer.

Attachments

• 1917 Sav 1899 take down 250 sav 20190929_103148.jpg
    1917 Sav 1899 take down 250 sav 20190929_103148.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 774
  • Rem 700 250 Savage 20201012_183809.jpg
    Rem 700 250 Savage 20201012_183809.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 774
  • 250 Savage  with target  from 10-29-2017.jpg
    250 Savage with target from 10-29-2017.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 774
Wow! Those are some interesting looking rifles! What's your load for the 115's? Those must be hard to find?!! CL

Nice group!
Looks like minute of deer and antelope to me.
Now if a guy just had the time...

Hate it when life gets in the way and proves the old cliche...
"When I have the time, I don't have the means, and when I have the means, I don't have the time"...my story for the past 3 years!
Made it out just 3 times this fall. Did get the moose and am very thankful!

Going to try again next weekend to see if we can find Susan a deer...she'll be packing her Ruger No.1 in 250 Savage!

cloverleaf":1vnisuxi said:
lhsako":1vnisuxi said:
What model rifle?

"Aggie" (short for aggravation) is an FN 300 commercial Mauser long action with a barrel of unknown pedigree, 1:10 twist. glassed and pillared at the rear. Unique, hand done walnut stock.

CL
>>> great looking old school style.!!!!!!!!! good group man (y)

lhsako":3vwnbd9w said:
cloverleaf":3vwnbd9w said:
lhsako":3vwnbd9w said:
What model rifle?

CL
>>> great looking old school style.!!!!!!!!! good group man (y)

Thanks! When I can hold still, I do enjoy that rifle! CL

Back