Think I found my "go to" rifle. 6.5 Grendel bolt action.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
I've mentioned before that shooting distances here in N. IN run more <200 yards than over and I've gotten to the old man stage of getting greater enjoyment shooting low recoil, low muzzle blast rounds so I did a little background work on some of the short-mid range cartridges and the rifles they can be found in.

I know the 6mms will do all one could require for deer at that range and I can't imagine passing from this rock with one not in possession but something a little bigger in diameter has held my interest for awhile but I still wanted some light weight bullet options in a bigger bore for just blasting and maybe some predator rounds. The 6.5mm has the weight ranges and while most 6.5mm bullets seem to be designed for LONG range, there are some pretty interesting looking less commonly discussed it seems that should fit the bill and provide me with a lot of fun time playing with loads this summer.

When I saw a "clearance" posted on the CZ 527 American in the 6.5 Grendel, I grabbed one before the dealers snarfed them all up to resell. I wish now I would have gotten two.

I've had a half dozen or so CZ 527s before and pretty much have seller's remorse over every one of them so I was tickled to find one at a good price. Some hate the single set trigger but, for me, it's like it was custom made for my liking.

Most look at the Hodgdon load data on the Grendel and are unaware that the super low PSI of these loads is intended for the AR 15 style rifles where bolt thrust must be kept within limitations and the larger base of the Grendel (220 Russian/6PPC size) delivers more thrust to the bolt than the .223 by a large margin relative to chamber pressure. Such is not an issue in a bolt action and loaded for a bolt gun it's almost a different round. Instead of the 52k PSI (load data seems to hang at 50K) CIP lists the Grendel the same as the 6PPC and 6BR Norma with rounds tested averaging 4050 Barr or 58,740 PSI.

While I've only loaded 90 and 100 grain "plinkers" for now testing the waters, it was readily apparent that I was going to really like this one. The single down side to this rifle/round is the 2.26" COAL one is limited to when using the detachable magazine but even with that limitation velocities can march right up there with 120 grain and lower bullets.

So, while final loads are months away (not much of crappy weather shooter) I think this is going to be a fun one. (y)

A quick photo of it for now. Plans are to pick up a higher X summer scope later for fun and games but for now, the Bushnell 2.5-10x suffices. As a sidebar I also added a photo of some, retrieved from game, Maker T-Rex .264" bullets. These are 85 grain, but he makes a tipped 95gr (.400bc) and 110gr (.42bc) version too. WICKED looking little fellas, IMO. Might have to give the heavier ones a whirl.

God Bless
Steve

Attachments

• 1225191536.jpg
    1225191536.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 958
  • Maker 6.5mm 85 grain hogs to 200 yards.jpg
    Maker 6.5mm 85 grain hogs to 200 yards.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 958
350JR":n2biopqa said:
I've mentioned before that shooting distances here in N. IN run more <200 yards than over and I've gotten to the old man stage of getting greater enjoyment shooting low recoil, low muzzle blast rounds so I did a little background work on some of the short-mid range cartridges and the rifles they can be found in.

I know the 6mms will do all one could require for deer at that range and I can't imagine passing from this rock with one not in possession but something a little bigger in diameter has held my interest for awhile but I still wanted some light weight bullet options in a bigger bore for just blasting and maybe some predator rounds. The 6.5mm has the weight ranges and while most 6.5mm bullets seem to be designed for LONG range, there are some pretty interesting looking less commonly discussed it seems that should fit the bill and provide me with a lot of fun time playing with loads this summer.

When I saw a "clearance" posted on the CZ 527 American in the 6.5 Grendel, I grabbed one before the dealers snarfed them all up to resell. I wish now I would have gotten two.

I've had a half dozen or so CZ 527s before and pretty much have seller's remorse over every one of them so I was tickled to find one at a good price. Some hate the single set trigger but, for me, it's like it was custom made for my liking.

Most look at the Hodgdon load data on the Grendel and are unaware that the super low PSI of these loads is intended for the AR 15 style rifles where bolt thrust must be kept within limitations and the larger base of the Grendel (220 Russian/6PPC size) delivers more thrust to the bolt than the .223 my a large margin relative to chamber pressure. Such is not an issue in a bolt action and loaded for a bolt gun it's almost a different round. Instead of the 52k PSI (load data seems to hang at 50K) CIP lists the Grendel the same as the 6PPC and 6BR Norma with rounds tested averaging 4050 Barr or 58,740 PSI.

While I've only loaded 90 and 100 grain "plinkers" for now testing the waters, it was readily apparent that I was going to really like this one. The single down side to this rifle/round is the 2.26" COAL one is limited to when using the detachable magazine but even with that limitation velocities can march right up there with 120 grain and lower bullets.

So, while final loads are months away (not much of crappy weather shooter) I think this is going to be a fun one. (y)

A quick photo of it for now. Plans are to pick up a higher X summer scope later one for fun and games but for now, the Bushnell 2.5-10x suffices. As a sidebar I also added a photo of some, retrieved from game, Maker T-Rex bullets. These are 85 grain, but he makes a tipped 95gr (.400bc) and 110gr (.42bc) version too. WICKED looking little fellas, IMO. Might have to give the heavier ones a whirl.

God Bless
Steve
I have two 6.5 Grendel gas guns. Love them as they are. Never thought about going to a 6.5 Grendel bolt. But everything I love about the round would only transfer to a bolt gun. Got me thinking. That is dangerous. I may need another gun safe. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bet the Grendel is fun as all get out in a semi-auto. I'd go bankrupt buying loading supplies if I started doing that! "Another gun safe".......has benefits I hear. (y)

Comparing velocities I see posted in the 6.5 forum, the bolt gun pressures with the (almost) 24 inch barrel pumps things up by more than a little bit. You'd like.

thanks for the reply
God Bless

I dig my gas 6.5.. it’s a blast and man, it doesn’t work too hard keeping up with the Creed on steel out to 600.

350JR":1g9eyr9o said:
I bet the Grendel is fun as all get out in a semi-auto. I'd go bankrupt buying loading supplies if I started doing that! "Another gun safe".......has benefits I hear. (y)

Comparing velocities I see posted in the 6.5 forum, the bolt gun pressures with the (almost) 24 inch barrel pumps things up by more than a little bit. You'd like.

thanks for the reply
God Bless

I hand load as well. Problem is I have so many hobbies time between shooting fest is usually long and I have a lot of rifles to feed and a lot of calibers to load for. I’m not broke yet. I am working in that direction [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The grendel in an AR is my new addiction. Loading supplies are all set up and as soon as I run through the supply of factory stuff I'll start putting recipes together. I am really looking forward to the Nosler 120gr BT factory offering just announced.

One of the howa mini actions could be really handy in 6.5 Grendel. I picked one up in 300 BLK and was dry impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be very cool if CZ would bring out their left handed 527 in the 6.5 Grendel!
I would definitely have some fun with that and ammo loaded with 100-120gr Noslers!!!

I run a couple gas Grendels.
Cool cartridge and as Scotty said, very capable.
For deer don’t overlook the Speer 120 gr Gold Dot. Impressive bullet.

I put together two ARs in 6.5 Grendel spring of 2018. First was with a Bear Creek Arsenal upper 20" barrel. Had problem with it and had to send it back for a new barrel but got it to shooting OK afterward. In the mean time I built one from scratch with an 18" Oden Works barrel. It is a great shooter. I killed a deer with the 20" in 2018 with the 120 Speer Gold Dot. AWESOME bullet for deer. This past season, 2019, I killed a deer with the 18" using the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter and it did a pretty good job. Both deer were BANG FLOP. If I had to choose between the two bullets the Gold Dot wins hands down though. Those Maker 85s do look wicked.

Wow Steve, I think you found a real winner with that caliber in a bolt gun. I'm sure it will perform really well for you when fed good ammo with the right bullets.

Good luck with it this year!

So far, with the crappy weather, I've only shot 90gr Speer TNT and Nosler 100gr Comp bullets in a couple load variations. As has been the case for me in the past with the 527, under 1 inch groups aren't any kind of a struggle.
While I like looking at bullets and trying various ones that trip my trigger, I know for a fact that the 125gr NPT would do it all, with class. A guy I chatted with has a twin to my rifle and claims he has been shooting Hornady 129gr soft points over 2700fps for some time without a case lost yet. I haven't tried that so can't say for sure but it SOUNDS a little closer to high pressures than I need.

Looking at ballistices, bullet length, powder capacity etc, I'm positive 2600fps with the 125gr NPT won't be any kind of a trick and be all I'll ever need. Even at 2500fps I doubt Id notice any "loss".

This is the way the JBM trajectory calculator shows the NPT at 2600fps and a 150 yards zero. It would take one tough critter to walk away from a good hit. Depends on how they shoot of course.
I did run across a box of 120gr ProHunters for 20 bucks so I'll be giving them a run too.

Thanks to all for the replies. So far, so good.
God Bless
Steve

Attachments

• 125 NPT 2600fps.JPG
    125 NPT 2600fps.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 755
Back