Thinking of new rifle

ram161

Beginner
Feb 26, 2006
I have been thinking of purchasing a new rifle. I have been toying with a 7mm stw or 257 weatherby.
After looking at the new remington XHR I was thinking 7mm RUM or 25-06.
I currently shoot Sakos and have a 223,22-250 ,270 weatherby ,280 , 7mm remington mag, 30-06, 2 338 winchesters, I aso have a weatherby in 340 , And Remington 700 in 270 and 350 remington.
Not a matter of need just want.
So has anybody seen the 700 XHR

Do you handload?? Both of those rounds are very potent and at their best with a good bullet and a load designed for that particular rifle. AS well, the ammo is pretty pricey if you don't. You can form the 257 wby brass from 7mm Rem Mag or get it at gunbroker.com on auctions. It is pretty costly to buy auction or not. The 7mm STW is getting harder to get loaded ammo for, but you can get brass on gunbroker.com for 54.99/100 for winchester stuff. It is a bit of a powder hog, 90+ grains per charge. It's good number to use surplus powder on, which costs $45/keg. There has been a few posts on that, search: surplus powder, WC 860 or WC 868 and you should find out more about that. It is availible in a few places.

Good luck and have fun.

JT.

my only gripe with the xhr is it only has a 22" barrel for non magnum calibers even though the remington site says 24" I looked on gunbroker and in the 09 rem cat and it says 22 so for a 25.06 you would not be doing yourself any favors

good luck there are a lot of options out there

ram161,

I don't like the Remington 700 series of rifles for hunting. They lack important safety features and design.

The safety on the 700 is only two position and does not lock the bolt. Nor does that safety hold the firing pin at all but is just a trigger block. Look at the Winchester or Kimbers for good safeties.

The Rem action has that cheap plunger ejector, a tiny extractor, a bolt handle just tacked onto the outside of the bolt body and there is more.

Thanks for the imput.
Yes I reload for everthing i have.
I forgot that I have a Kimber 8400 in 270 wsm. I havent hunted this one yet . I'm saving it for when I draw my Oregon Mt. goat tag
Savage 99
I know what you are saying about the 700. My 350 is in a classic and I purchased it new. I'v hunted it on the oregon coast dureing Elk Season and have taken 12 bulls with it. It's nver let me down.
I really partial to the Sako but I have not found one thats affordable in 7mm stw or 7mm rum yet. Also not chambered in 257 bee and the 25-06 only has 22 inch barrels.
I seen one Xhr on auction arms with 24 inch barrel.
I also located a 257 bee accumark stated nra excellent condition for 900
Has me interrested

ram I could be wrong but I doubt that they are making the xhr in multiple length barrels and I was surprised to see the 25 in a 22" barrel but the majority of what I have seen shows it in a 22"

Since you have the 270 wsm why do you need a 257 it can do anything and maybe more maybe not quite as flat but get some 110 grain bullets and they will be flay shooting and fit somewhere between the 25.06 and 257b

as for the remington hater I guess I am just going to have to be an unsafe hunter as it is too late to try to want to learn a new rifle all 5 of mine are 700s and that is all I will buy from here on out as I always know where everything is and how it works.

thinking of a new rifle?!???!??........You mean there are times when you dont think about a rifle?? :wink: CL

cloverleaf":1adi52k7 said:
thinking of a new rifle?!???!??........You mean there are times when you dont think about a rifle?? :wink: CL

sBo_bouncing2.gif

sHa_jumpman.gif

Cloverleaf
The only time i can tink of when I wasn't thinking of a new one waas when my grand kids were born. No wait I started thinking what riflrs they would need.

I have looked at the accumarks in STW and The one posted is not bad for price. The only thing that concerns me is barrel erosion.

Agin not a matter of need.
I als forgt to list a Sako custom 300 weatherby

Ram161,

Every grandchild needs a grandfather that thinks ahead to when he or she will begin hunting.

Gee thanks DrMike! I thought I could quit when my kids started buying there own. :?

JD,

I pray your quiver will be filled! Ha!

I've got six, and boy is it fun securing gear for them.

Judging by the Sako 75 I had in 7mm Rem Mag and the refurb's I've seen lately that came from the lot that had faulty barrels.
Those guns have a full length magnum action and I tried some 300 rum round in one in a store and they fit and seemed to feed(obviously couldn't chamber it) normally. There are a few of them around and in Canada the ones I've seen were a good bit below the 85's in price.

According to the salesman, the refurbed actions were trued and the threads squared along with the rebarrel, however, I would only venture to say it was rebarreled by sako, call them and ask what their work intailed.

Anyway, short version is that if you find a sako 75 that was recalled and is on sale as new old stock or the like, check the action length and most likely you could rechamber it to STW or RUM very easily.

JT.

Back