Thoughs on a Minox?

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I found a Minox ZA5 4-20 at a local gun shop. It's "used", but no signs of being mounted. They are asking $350. I was going to put a Zeiss Conquest on my 257AI, but thinking of getting the Minox.

What are your thoughts?
If I get it, and it turns out that something is wrong with it, will their customer service back it up?
Steve

I like Minox; they work well for me. I consider them to be the equal of the Conquest.

It would be a good price in Canada, but I really am unqualified to speak of US prices. It seems fair, however.

I have the same exact scope on my 270Wby. I love it. Other than having the distinction of being the only scope I've ever looked through where I had almost too much eye relief, I have no negative observations. It is truly the equal of my 4.5-14x44 Conquest as far as my eyes can tell, right up to "too dadgum dark to shoot" at the range. Clarity and color are excellent. For $350, it's a steal. I paid $400 for mine and got a $50 rebate, making it the same price. It is easily worth nearly twice that, judging by other glass I own and the prices I've paid.

Again, be sure you mount it forward due to the eye relief, but it's a great piece of glass. Minox will stand behind it, too.

euro optics has some Zeiss on sale .
http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss.aspx

I just got an email from camera land stating a 10% discount on most sales . here is a little clip from that email .

I am thrilled to keep the guys here crazy busy while I am relaxing, fishing and enjoying a cigar without a care, however, when I get back I prefer not to get a ton of e-mails and calls saying "I didn't mention it but I wanted the 10% off". Please either call in and mention the 10% off or type it in the note area of your order. This sale will run from July 8th - July 21st.

I'll be back the 22nd, be well.
Doug
212-753-5128
www.CameraLandNY.com
CameraLand@aol.com

* To be perfectly clear the following are not included in this sale:
- New Leica, Leupold, S&B, Swarovski & Trijicon products. Demo Leica and Demo Swarovski are included.
- Open Box Products
- Deal of the Day Sale Items
- Combination Add On Sale Items
Any questions just give a call and we can clarify it.

all this being said , I have a few Zeiss scopes they are great , IMHO . I bought a minox and sent it back trading for another Zeiss .

FOTIS":n9avxfxx said:
Scottie talked me into one and I love it!

I try not to talk anybody into them, cause if they go bad, then I look like a tool, BUT, I did have a Minox that needed customer service, as it wouldn't focus just right for me, I called them, they took it in and had me a new scope out within the week. During the Fall, it might take longer but I like them alot. I have 5 or 6 now and have no plans of changing. I'm not sure you can beat them for the money. They have replaced almost all of my Leupolds on my rifles.

Dub says the truth though, they have alot of eye relief, but I like that.

I think that price is very fair as well. That'd be a super scope on a hotshot 257.

FOTIS":1n2iibjc said:

Yep talked me into one too. 2-10 for $299 can't beat the glass for the money. I got it on my 338 and no issues at all.

I put a ZA5 on my Son's 270 win. We had a bit of a problem when the reticle dropped :shock: but Minox replaced it quickly & my Son used it for Whitetail & advised that it worked great 8).
They might be the best bang for your buck on the market right now :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

My thoughts are: that if you can buy a Minox (Open Box) scope for some of the prices offered now, go ahead and buy one. They are a capable and rugged scope for the prices which they are being sold open box.

nvbroncrider":1usz06pi said:
FOTIS":1usz06pi said:

Yep talked me into one too. 2-10 for $299 can't beat the glass for the money. I got it on my 338 and no issues at all.

I've got the 3x9 with the #4 reticle on my Whelen. It's just about my favorite scope next to my Swaro.

It will do everything you want from a scope and at the correct price. It is all one needs when hunting, as it will accomplish the same thing for you as a 1500 or 2000 dollar scope

ScreaminEagle":1fh138rd said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna pick it up soon.
Steve

If you don't like it, at the deal you can pick it up, I bet you can move it.

How does one go about getting a 10% discount from Doug (Cameraland NY)? I have bought three $500-850 Minox and Zeiss scopes from him and have never been offered any discount, what is the deal?

Charlie , it's the boss is away sale . I'll try to copy and post the entire email .

Can't see the images - CLICK HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Summer's heating up and so are the deals.

Camera Land is having a "Doug's Leaving on Vacation 10% Off Store Wide Sale"

Every year I go on an annual "Once in a Lifetime Alaskan Fishing Trip" and this year it will be even longer as I have to stop in Las Vegas on the way to attend the iCast Fishing convention for my other business, Pelagic Outfitters.
Never wishing for the boys here to be bored while I am out, this year I came up with a great idea. While I am away our entire new & demo inventory (with the exception of new Leica, Leupold, S&B, Swarovski & Trijicon brands,) will be 10% off, as long as you either call the order in or put 10% Doug's Away Sale in the note area of your web order (on web orders we will issue the 10% refund to your payment method when we process the order). You must do this. I am thrilled to keep the guys here crazy busy while I am relaxing, fishing and enjoying a cigar without a care, however, when I get back I prefer not to get a ton of e-mails and calls saying "I didn't mention it but I wanted the 10% off". Please either call in and mention the 10% off or type it in the note area of your order. This sale will run from July 8th - July 21st.

Yes, Cameras, Lenses, Flash Units, all related camera gear and accessories, Bags, Tripods etc.

All New & Demo Sports Optics are included (not open box goods or Deal of the Day sale items):
Riflescopes, Binoculars, Spotters, Monoculars, Rangefinders, etc.

If we have it new or demo then it is part of this sale (with the exclusions mentioned above).
Yes, Fed Ex ground shipping is still included on all orders that are over $100.00 after the discount is applied.

Please feel free to call Joel, Scottie, Mark or Neil @ 212-753-5128 with any questions or to place an order.

BTW, a portion of every Brunton, Burris, Leica, Leupold, Meopta, Minox, Steiner, Vortex and Zeiss sale is donated to United Cerebral Palsy.
If you are so inclined to participate please click here to make a donation On the right side of the donation page you'll see The Paymer Boys which is the page set up by us.

* Very Important Notice: This sale is good from the dates listed in this sale. Not retroactive to earlier purchases and it will not be extended to orders after midnight on the 21st. It is not combinable with any MIL/LEO or other offers.

I'll be back the 22nd, be well.
Doug
212-753-5128
www.CameraLandNY.com
CameraLand@aol.com

* To be perfectly clear the following are not included in this sale:
- New Leica, Leupold, S&B, Swarovski & Trijicon products. Demo Leica and Demo Swarovski are included.
- Open Box Products
- Deal of the Day Sale Items
- Combination Add On Sale Items
Any questions just give a call and we can clarify it.

ScreaminEagle":298falfw said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna pick it up soon.
Steve

take the caps off and twist the turrets . go one way a few clicks , then reverse the direction and pay attention to the "lash " or play . the one I returned had a very soft , and longer , second click .the first click was ok , the second was not . this was on both turrets , and did it every time the direction was reversed . that is what bothered me enough to return it . I didn't want a scope that potentially would not hold zero . I returned the scope to camera land and bought another Zeiss . Jim

Back