Throwing a fly in the soup bowl.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Ha. Not really just something that I have to bring up.

A cartridge that's often intrigued me is the often overlooked original short magnum, the 284 Win.

All the 280 talk made me think of something I've noticed a while ago now.

Hodgdon has for a while now listed updated data for the 284. When not cramped in the M88, it beats the 280 pretty badly across pretty much all bullet weights using standard powders. Top speeds listed are generally over 100fps in the 284's favor.

Hodgdon data shows loaded lengths that would fit in any medium length action with plenty to spare. I've no idea how the 284 would perform with some powders discussed lately like RL26. But food for thought.

The 284 in a Win 70 could be loaded to 3" in a short action. Thought about this option every
time I think about a 7-08 or 7x57.

muleman":21jryrvu said:
The 284 in a Win 70 could be loaded to 3" in a short action. Thought about this option every
time I think about a 7-08 or 7x57.

Interesting. Guess I've never had a M70 here in a short action that I measured.

Hodgdon's data is showing the heavier bullets loaded from 2.930- 2.990. So that would fit in what you're describing. Good info to know!

That length would still cramp the 284 if loading the long range specialty high bc bullets. If wanting to go that route a medium length action like a M98 would let you load out a lot longer if needed.

What if you built one on a long action? Plenty of room to seat bullets further out. Just a thought. Dan.

The .284 is a very under appreciated cartridge. To be fair my only experiences are with leverguns but I have always felt something like a Model 70 long action in .284 would be a great rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is going to be my next build for a competition rifle. 284 winchester on a long action, 28" heavy stainless 8 twist Bartlein with their new stainless material to extend barrel life by 1.5-2x, 180g ELDMs at 2850-2900fps, lapua 6.5-284 brass necked up. Should give 3500-4000 rounds of excellent accuracy and LR performance, all the while only burning 55-58g of powder, less recoil than my 7-300, smaller ES, more accurate. You really cant beat it, no 6mm or 6.5mm will touch the 180 eldms ballistic performance and barrel life. You'd have to get into the super 30s and 33s with 230s and 300s to beat it ballistically, but then you'd be seeing 2-3x the recoil and half the barrel life. You just cant beat the 7mms...

The .284 is a really decent cartridge. But if you load the .280 to the same pressures, the .280 is a whole different animal. But I digress.
Anyways, if you had a long action, then you could seat the bullets like the Europeans do.
Seat the bottom of the bullet to the bottom of the case neck.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":29h7y2mu said:
The .284 is a really decent cartridge. But if you load the .280 to the same pressures, the .280 is a whole different animal. But I digress.
Anyways, if you had a long action, then you could seat the bullets like the Europeans do.

Hawk

That's exactly right. SAAMI specs for pressure are lower than what the cartridge's true potential is. Currently I'm running the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams from my .280 Rem. a bit above 2900 FPS with no problem with WMR powder. Sadly Winchester dropped that one almost ten years ago but I have enough to last me for quite a while. Accuracy with that load run about .75"on average. Sometimes a bit larger and sometimes a bit smaller but I've never shot anything over an inch with that load.
Paul B.

There are a lot of good cartridges that because of the in my thinking "stupidity" of the factory's did not really come alive. The 284 Win, 6.5 Rem. Mag and 264 Win mag are three that come to mind. These were cramped into unsuitable packages. The 284 Win and 6.5 Rem mag in short actions with short barrels and the 264 Win mag was neutered by chopping the barrel back to 24" and the bad press. I remember seeing advertisement for the Win. 70 in 264 Win mag as a long range varmint rifle. Sure if you sit down with ANY large case mag and bang away at a P-dog town one round after the other the barrel is not going to last too long. The specialty pistol fellows have really done well with the 284 Win mag.

1Shot":1qjjc9qj said:
There are a lot of good cartridges that because of the in my thinking "stupidity" of the factory's did not really come alive. The 284 Win, 6.5 Rem. Mag and 264 Win mag are three that come to mind. These were cramped into unsuitable packages. The 284 Win and 6.5 Rem mag in short actions with short barrels and the 264 Win mag was neutered by chopping the barrel back to 24" and the bad press. I remember seeing advertisement for the Win. 70 in 264 Win mag as a long range varmint rifle. Sure if you sit down with ANY large case mag and bang away at a P-dog town one round after the other the barrel is not going to last too long. The specialty pistol fellows have really done well with the 284 Win mag.

Yep, Winchester didn't usually make a habit of bad marketing decisions but in the case of the 284, the M88 didn't do it any favors at all in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the M88, but it was better served by the other true short action cartridges. On top of cramping it way below capacity in that platform, the 284 is not the type of cartridge that conjures up images of lever guns. Not sure what they were thinking.

HAWKEYESATX":20ew1ppz said:

Hawk

Based on listed bullet lengths, if not using the specialty long range bullets you can use any standard bullet up to 175 grains including partitions, accubonds, sst's etc, in a medium length action and not be cramping powder capacity. The long rang bullets really ought to have a long action to load out where needed with a 284.

Back