Tikka build

Actually the standard magnum mags are too narrow to allow the fatter WSM's to pop up high enough to be grabbed by the bolt. You can try to file the feed rails or buy a aftermarket mag box. All Tikka actions are the same except the bolt stops and bolt faces.

An easy solution is switching to an AICS compatible bottom metal or chassis,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WT,

What ever you do, make sure you are working with a compitent gunsmith. If you're not sure, check references. Rob Canze of Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI has built two custom rifles for me and they shoot! It might be worth a phone conversation with Rob to discuss building you a 7mm WSM.

JD338

I was able to look at my 7mmRM magazine and a WSM side by side. The WSM is .075" wider and the lip of the mag is longer than the 7mmRM.

With that being said, I'm starting to wonder if I should rebarrel to 7mmRM instead of 7WSM. I already have the dies for the RM and one mag for it.

No matter what, I will be buying new brass for the new barrel. If you were to build a 7mm, would it be 7mmRM or 7WSM?

Since you're starting with a 7RM, I'd be inclined to build a rifle that approximated the 7RM cartridge. I love my 7WSM, but truthfully, it is the ballistic twin of the 7RM. A build approximating the parent case would present fewer problems in the long-run.

Being a Tikka.... that’s kind of a conundrum. The 3.3” mag box becomes the limiting factor on the 7RM option, especially if you wanna shoot 160+ VLD(ish) bullets. Not sure what the Tikka WSM Mag OAL is... but if it’s 2.95”+... I’d probably go the WSM route and throat it accordingly.

I love Tikkas, and currently shoot a 20” Benchmark barreled 6mm Creed built on one. BUT, they have their drawbacks when building long action rounds meant for shooting VLD bullets... solely due to the Mag constraints.

Great points Songdog. I'm leaning towards the 160 AccuBond for my bullet of choice if it were to shoot well. I know mag length is going to be an issue.

Check out Mountain Tactical they sell Billet Tikka mags. I bought a couple for my Tikka 223.

Looks like the Mountain tactical billet mags allows a guy to run a WSM in a long action mag so I can seat bullets at any length desired.

The past week has had brass, dies, bullets and scope rings come in the mail. I'm planning on sending the barreled action out this week to the smith for the new barrel.

Looking at a 24" match grade barrel, 1:8.5 twist, factory contour and brake. I'm going to put it in the factory stock for now until I can save up for a new one.

I've need had a hunting rifle with a brake so I'm a little nervous but, I want an easy shooting rifle. I might have to invest in some smart earplugs for hunting if needed.

JD338":3j0vqwbn said:
WT,

What ever you do, make sure you are working with a compitent gunsmith. If you're not sure, check references. Rob Canze of Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI has built two custom rifles for me and they shoot! It might be worth a phone conversation with Rob to discuss building you a 7mm WSM.

JD338

Rob won't mess with Tikka's, said he doesn't have the right lathe set up. I tried to use him to make my 22-250 into a 22 CM..

WT, I think you have a good deal going buddy. It's not even half a problem as TB mentioned, just a little homework with magazines and you'll be solid.

Back