Tikka T3 or Winchester M70 Featherweight

UD77

Beginner
Jan 14, 2011
I am going to get one or the other in 243. Which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your help.

Tough choice.
Investment wise I believe the Win 70 UL would be the best. I've had a couple of model 70s and a Tikka t3 lite. The Tikka is lighter but the Mod 70 is more "nostalgic and romantic" I guess would be the best description. It's got to be a personal choice. When you can handle both with your eyes closed you will know which feels right.

I'm utterly unbiased! :wink: Get a Featherweight. :) Either will serve you very well. I can't imagine that you would be displeased with either. I've shot plenty of both of these models, and they are each shooters.

Yeah I am leaning towards the Featherweight. As far as accurcy goes, will it be as accurate as the T3?

I have never shot a Tikka. They seem simple, well designed, have a reputation for at least acceptable accuracy from what I have read here... :), flawless function and excellent rifle. And to me they are way over priced for a plain jane rifle! Id go with the winchester. You have all the classic features that made it the riflemans rifle. From what Ive heard the new Model 70 is a quality rifle. And it looks good. If I was spending your rifle I'd give it a try :) CL

OK, I'll be "that" guy. I have 12 Tikkas and all but one have been tackdrivers out of the box. One of them is a 243 and the only ammo it hasn't shot well were loads I haven't put in it yet.

I'm in no way bashing the 70's because, with Dr. Mike's brainwashing, I just bought one, but I must say that right now, the Tikka is my rifle of choice.

Ron

All the Tikkas I have shot were very good out of the box. All of the Featherweights that have come out of Columbia that I have shot were just as good. Both appear to be well built rifles with good craftsmanship. I can't imagine that you'll be unhappy with either.

Ron,

Really? Brainwashing? Never! Well, perhaps just a bit of friendly persuasion.

UD77":1h5ke0j5 said:
Yeah I am leaning towards the Featherweight. As far as accurcy goes, will it be as accurate as the T3?

The new Win are very accurate from what I have seen.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am going to go and "look" again today. I will let you know how it goes.

Well, I ended up with the featherweight. Now going to top it off with talley 1 piece lightweight rings/bases and either a trijicon 3x9x40 or a zeiss 3x9x40 that I have laying around. Then to load development. Decisions, decisions. Maybe by March 1 it will be ready to chase down some hogs.

They are both sweet rifles. I've had great success with Featherweights, and I have not yet shot a T3 that was a dog (and I have shot quite a few). I must confess that I committed the heresy of transforming my 243 Featherweight into a 338 Federal without ever shooting the 243. I am hoping that I can sell the barrel and recoup some of the cost of building the 338 Federal.

Have you had a chance to get to the range yet, dying to know how it shoots. :grin:

Corey

I'd go with the Wincester. I shot my first seven deer with my mom's .243 win featherweight. They are a very comfortable, shoot well, and smack the crap out of deer and yotes!

I too would go with the Winchester M70 Featherweight.

JD338

Update: ended up topping the featherweight off with a nikon 3-9 x 50 and took it to the range yesterday. The gun is definitly sub moa. It looks like about 42.5 grains of h4350 behind a 80 grain ttsx is going to be the ticket.

Can't wait to see some pictures of that FWT! They are some slick rifles. Seems to be a good shooting rifle for most folks also. Scotty

Back