Tikka T3x 6.8 Western

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I had a LH Tikka T3x rebarreled to 6.8 Western. Barrel is a Canadian made KS Arms stainless 1 in 8 twist with a slightly heavier contour than the 300 WSM barrel the gun came with. Had it out a second time today and shot it at 325 yards to fine tune the scope. It's holding at around MOA so far with the factory 162 gr Impact load. Planning on starting to reload with some 170 gr Ballistic Tips and MagPro this week and see what I can come up with. Liking it quite a bit so far, has mild recoil and it looks like it wants to shoot. Scope is a Burris Signature HD 3-15x 44. IMG_20231107_092206974.jpgIMG_20231107_091446454_HDR.jpgIMG_20231107_092210248.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve always thought that cartridge made a lot of sense. That rifle looks to check all the boxes on an excellent big game rifle. What kind of cartridge length can you fit in the magazine?

I’ve always thought that cartridge made a lot of sense. That rifle looks to check all the boxes on an excellent big game rifle. What kind of cartridge length can you fit in the magazine?
When I get back home tonight I'll measure it and let you know. The stock WSM magazine just holds the 162 gr factory loads with the odd one slightly too long. I also have a 4 round PRC magazine that has more room to load out long. I thought it made a lot of sense too especially since I like the 277 cal anyway. I feel confident that those 165-175 gr bullets will do well on anything around here.

The stock 300 WSM magazine is 2.90 inches, the 162 gr Copper Impact measures 2.895". In the photo it looks like it doesn't fit but it just does. The 4 round 6.5 PRC magazine measures 3.070". IMG_20231107_163029570.jpg

Also for Tikka owners this is the first time I have used Sportsmatch rings but won't be the last (medium height 1" for those who are wondering). Like that they clamp to the integral rail, they also have a recoil pin to stop it from moving. Made in the U.K. of all places, lots of guys have raved about them so I thought I would give them a try.

Very cool Gerry! That rifle looks like it was made to hunt.

Hard to go wrong with the Tikka. Good darned rifles.

Very cool Gerry! That rifle looks like it was made to hunt.

Hard to go wrong with the Tikka. Good darned rifles.
Pretty tough to beat a Tikka for all around use. I'm happy with them. I noticed Winchester is offering the 6.8 Western in their Super Grade. I bet you would end up loving a gun like that 😉

Sweet rig! I really like the 6.8W! Very mild recoil for the down range ballistics.

Lou
Thought you might like this! I have seen you mention elsewhere that you have two 6.8 Western rifles, what are they?

Pretty tough to beat a Tikka for all around use. I'm happy with them. I noticed Winchester is offering the 6.8 Western in their Super Grade. I bet you would end up loving a gun like that 😉
Without a doubt I could!

Thought you might like this! I have seen you mention elsewhere that you have two 6.8 Western rifles, what are they?
I had a Win 70 stainless classic 7 wsm that had bedded in a mcmillan stock rebarrled to 6.8W with 24” hs precision 1-8 barrel. Super accurate and well balanced rifle so I did not want to chop it to run a suppressor and ended up buying a xbolt SR which is also very accurate;). Run a trash panda on the xbolt. Mostly been using 175 tgk and 165 ablr factory loads but this year hand loaded 175 tgk for the Win 70. Oddly the 165 ablr factory load is very accurate for me but my handloads with 165 ablr were fast but meh accuracy wise. I think the ogive was getting crimped in my die so bought a 165 ablr seater plug from SPS and will try again later. Not shot anything far but hammers even big boar up close and both bullets penetrate all the way through boar shoulders.

Lou

Sounds like a couple of great rifles. The custom M70 sounds perfect. If I wasn't a lefty I would have bought the Browning SR just because I really like compact guns, there's a lot to like with that model. We aren't allowed suppressors here right now but with a change in government who knows what the future holds.

Finally was able to get out and shoot the first reloads with the 170 gr Ballistic Tips and some MagPro powder. I had to guess a bit and use data for the 165 gr ABLR and 170 gr Berger. Looks like the BT produces a bit more pressure than those two. I had a bit of a heavy bolt lift with my 3rd shot so will go a bit less. Looks promising though.
IMG_20231216_092130518.jpg

Finally was able to get out and shoot the first reloads with the 170 gr Ballistic Tips and some MagPro powder. I had to guess a bit and use data for the 165 gr ABLR and 170 gr Berger. Looks like the BT produces a bit more pressure than those two. I had a bit of a heavy bolt lift with my 3rd shot so will go a bit less. Looks promising though.
View attachment 21648
Is that 100 yds Gerry?

JD338

Back