Tips and Tricks

Get a notebook and write down everything you do. My notes tell me how many cases I sized of what cartridge, what I primed them with (including lot number), what powder (including lot number) and what bullet (with lot number) seated at what length. I even keep notes of who was present for a loading session. It sounds over the top, but prime some cases and walk away for a week or two, and you'll be glad you have notes. I use good MTM labels on my load boxes, too, so I know what is in each round. When I empty a powder canister, or go to new primers, I always know what lot I was working with and whether or not this is a new lot requiring test loads or not. Good notes are worth their weight in gold.

muleman":1n55e790 said:
ScreaminEagle":1n55e790 said:
Don't forget to shut the knob on your Hornady lock-n-load powder dispenser after you empty the powder! I don't know how much powder has been dumped on my bench before I wrote SHUT!!! on it with a sharpie. :roll:

:shock: You mean I'm not the only one who's done that!

Scott

I've done it tons of times. I'm sad to say it, but I just did it today! After I posted not to do it on this forum :? I'm losing my mind!

RDub":2b0b5qyg said:
1) NEVER have more than ONE canister of powder on the bench at one time. This way there is never any confusion with what powder you are working with.. If for some reason you have to leave the bench for a while, or forget to put away the powder that is in the measure.

2) When using a kinetic pullet puller, place a cotton ball in the bottom of the well. This gives a bullet a softer place to land if you inadvertently cause the bullet to fly out too fast.
And when removing bullets in this way, as the bullet is getting closer to exiting the case, start tapping a little softer so the bullet just 'drops' out.. If possible.
That's a good idea. If no cotton.balls try a foam earplug. That's what I use.

Corey

RDub said:
1) NEVER have more than ONE canister of powder on the bench at one time. This way there is never any confusion with what powder you are working with.. If for some reason you have to leave the bench for a while, or forget to put away the powder that is in the measure.

That is a good one.
I once got cocky while loading some test rounds and had 2 canisters on the bench. When I was done, I poured the powder from my measure into the wrong can. :shock:

To make things worse, it was nearly full to begin with.

Wasted a pound of powder that day. :cry:

Fortunately, there was an open post hole in my back yard. I dumped the " proprietary" powder down the hole and filled it in.

muleman":1e89lv4y said:
ScreaminEagle":1e89lv4y said:
Don't forget to shut the knob on your Hornady lock-n-load powder dispenser after you empty the powder! I don't know how much powder has been dumped on my bench before I wrote SHUT!!! on it with a sharpie. :roll:

:shock: You mean I'm not the only one who's done that!

Scott

Yes I think we have all done that. I have gotten in the habit of after emptying I always close that darn thing before I cap my powder. No more spills!

Back