Tipton Gun Vise

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
Well I finally broke down and put one of these on my Christmas List and my wife delivered! :grin:

When I was single I'd just clean my rifles on the bed, oil stains be danged. When I got married, wanting to be frugal, I cut a cardboard box to rest the rifle in and cleaned them on the coffee table while watching television. I guess you could say I have a very understanding wife. :grin: Anyway, after listening to me groan about how the cardboard box didn't quite cut it anymore, my wife drug me to the big boy toy store and told me to get one for Christmas.

After taking it out of the box I used it to clean a rifle. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to complete the task since the vise holds the rifle so steady. Yes, it's plastic, but seems to be well made for plastic. There are various locations on the bottom of the vise for keeping the most common cleaning supplies. It is well padded to not mar your rifle's finish. It's light and portable but does take up a little room on the bench when it's not in use. Under the bed is a great place to store it out of the way.

The only question I have is, why did it take me so long to realize I needed one? If you don't have one, and you clean your rifle more than once a year, I'd strongly encourage you to look at acquiring one. There may be other brands and models out there but this is the one I see in all the stores and it won't break the bank. We paid $59.99 for mine.

When my rifle cleaning was over my wife turned and said to me, "See Honey, I do listen to what you say." :grin:

Vince

A rifle rest is an absolute necessity for me to clean my rifles. Good move on the part of your wife. Congratulations on a very useful piece of gear.

They are nice I have one myself. I did break the roll pin in the locking mechanism but it's easily replaced.

6mm Remington":swx47rxr said:
They do work really well Vince. Now snag you up one of these to go along with it and you cut out most of the odor from the patches and solvents, and you don't have solvent splatter over everything. She will wonder where she go this fabulous husband from!!

http://www.boretech.com/products/images ... _large.jpg

What odor?

I busted my face in 1994 and haven't smelled much since. :grin:

Vince":1raxsqr3 said:
6mm Remington":1raxsqr3 said:
They do work really well Vince. Now snag you up one of these to go along with it and you cut out most of the odor from the patches and solvents, and you don't have solvent splatter over everything. She will wonder where she go this fabulous husband from!!

What odor?

Yeah, but I'll bet your wife doesn't delight in the malodorous scents wafting from the cleaning fluids.

DrMike":zfzurdjv said:
Vince":zfzurdjv said:
6mm Remington":zfzurdjv said:

What odor?

Yeah, but I'll bet your wife doesn't delight in the malodorous scents wafting from the cleaning fluids.

You may be right there. :grin:

I'll have to check it out.

I use 2 vices one is the MTM & that is in my man cave :wink:. The Tipton is every bit as good & I take that with me to the range & on most if my hunting trips:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back