To Six Millimeter, or Not?

I appreciate that Guy, along with all the other tips. That said, my modus operendi has been to find one load formula and stick with it for all hunting purposes. This, especially true here in Florida, when we can and do encounter very large, tough boar, while deer hunting. In open hunting areas, there is no season on boar/pig, as they are classified as escaped domestic swine. They are much tougher than is any deer that I have ever taken, to include 250 lb. muley. In loading up for hunting, using my wife's .243Win. there is no 6mm AB, so the Partition is my choice. Maybe tougher than needed for deer, but among the best choice for pig, where holding together, creating lots of trauma and retaining weight is called for.

Steven,

You are absolutely correct. With the possibility of encountering hogs, you need a tough bullet that will penetrate the shoulder mantel and reach the vitals. Whilst the Partition is not needed for the smaller deer you encounter in Florida, those porkers require a tough bullet.

Roger that, with boar as a possibility, I'd be looking at Partitions and Accubonds as well!

Sometimes I carry/use pretty stout bullets while hunting mule deer, because here in Washington it's also black bear season, and in Wyoming where I like to hunt there is often a grizzly danger. The potential for taking a shot at bigger, tougher game like boar or bear is a great reason to use a tougher bullet!

Back