Too Hot 5.56 NATO?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
In the parking area at the range yesterday morning I found a plastic ammo can someone left..So i put up a note at the benches and my number for whoever lost it to call...Being curious at home I looked inside and found a bunch of 5.56 NATO rounds on speed loaders, but it was the load data card taped to the inside of the lid that raised an eyebrow...Seems pretty hot to me, but NATO data is rare........

The card Says:
For Bushmaster AR-15
5.56 NATO
68 gr. Hndy OTM
LC brass 1X
Rem 7 1/2
27.5 CFE-223
2.250"
half turn Lee FCD

There's also a bunch of spent rounds in the can, and they look fine to me. No signs of pressure, but they could be from another source and just dropped in there.

Seems a bit hot. I think 27.5 is max for 55gr, but I’ve had rifles that will shoot well over the books listed max.

I wouldn’t test fire any of them hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure! I'm hoping he finds the note and gets in touch with me to get them back.

Tjay":3oxc67me said:
My Hornady manual lists 26.9 for that bullet.

yep, forgot I had the "e-book" version on the Kindle..So I guess its not that much of a stretch to say they may be safe in his rifle.

I got a text from the guy a little while ago. he found the note at the range and he's going to stop by and get them. I'd guess there's 200 of them, so I bet he's happy to get them back!

Back