Tough Bullet Opinions - Large Game

Welcome aboard, wihicks264. We appreciate your contribution to the forum. I began my moose hunting using the 175 grain TBBC launched from a 7mm RM. Since those halcyon days, I've used a variety of cartridges ranging from 270 WSM to 325 WSM and quite a number of cartridges between. More anemic cartridges included such things as 338 Federal, 358 Win and 356 Win, each of which did take moose. I used the 175 grain TBBC in my 7 RM for quite a few years, however. It likely accounted for more moose than any other cartridge.

how many angels can dance eon the head of a pin.

Nosler, Swift, Northfork, Woodleigh, Kodiak, and others make such good bullets these day I am not sure the search and cost of finding bitterroots are worth ones time and money. They were and are excellent bullets and perhaps even a tad better than the aforementioned, but not enough that the game shot will be able to tell the difference. We all know someone who uses simple store bought ammo and fills there tag each year.

However, since we are saying all this on the Nosler forum and since Nosler makes excellent bullets, I recommend you use Nosler

My dad and I used Partitions on elk and deer beginning in the early 60's and he continued until he passed in 04. I tried a few others but always went back to the PT. I use the 180 in my 300 WM, and the 160 AB in my 7mm Magnums. I use them because they work.

The Partition is as good as they come for a moose bullet,especially when you go on the heavy end for caliber.lung shot moose are dead moose with about anything you poke through them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

jimbires":24263hhc said:
the Partition would be my first choice . I've never used the swift A-frames. .....

jim,

The Swift-As are similar to the Partition in that both have the "Partition"
The SAs just have the "Partition" farther forward.
Thus they don't expand quite as fast and as wide.
But they hold the "mushroom" shape and don't lose very much weight;
they retain +90% verses about 70% for the NPT.

Google'em

PS: I use the Swift-As in my 458 Win Mag.

A good friend of mine took a very large Shiras moose quite a few years back with a 243 Winchester and ONE 100 gr. Nosler Partition. He said he shot his really large bull behind the shoulder and it went down almost instantly. Partition, AccuBond, E-tip, I'd keep it Nosler!!

David

There are no bad choices listed. Personally, I'd opt for an AccuBond or a Partition.

Moose are knocked over every year up here with 270s, '06s, 308s, etc. and are actually pretty soft for their size. An AccuBond is also perfect medicine for caribou. The .270WSM launching a 140AB at 3100fps is a tough number to beat.

Put one through both lungs and sharpen the knives....cause the work is about to start!

RaySendero":v2afny85 said:
jimbires":v2afny85 said:
the Partition would be my first choice . I've never used the swift A-frames. .....

jim,

The Swift-As are similar to the Partition in that both have the "Partition"
The SAs just have the "Partition" farther forward.
Thus they don't expand quite as fast and as wide.
But they hold the "mushroom" shape and don't lose very much weight;
they retain +90% verses about 70% for the NPT.

Google'em

PS: I use the Swift-As in my 458 Win Mag.

thanks for the info . I'll give them a look .

The AFrame front section is bonded Jim. It holds onto the majority of the front.

To the original question, Partition, AccuBond, AFrame, Scirocco, North Fork or Woodleigh. I wouldn't worry with any of those. Fwiw, I've seen some Oryx from the jugs look pretty good but have no personal experience with them on critters.

nlmRkUn.jpg

Hed2BDk.jpg

what about swift scirroco? i have one outta a muley buck shot at 75 yards with my 338 win mag went in the chest and stuck in bag leg. 83% weight retention and nearly double in size mushroom. thats alot of energy he absorbed with a 210 gr, bullet at 3000 fps at the muzzle.

I have used the 140 gr AccuBond in both the 270 Win and WSM on moose and caribou, and have had great success out to 200 yards. Having taken all sorts of big game with other caliber AB's and PT's in various weights and velocities, I am confident that either bullet will work well for you, in whichever load your rifle prefers.

I like the flatter trajectory of the 140 and find that it penetrates very well on large game, while being somewhat more accurate than the PT in most of my rifles.

Go forth, hunt hard, shoot straight and you will be dining on tasty venison in no time!

Enjoy your hunt!

Back